Is it a good idea to make PEX to copper connection below floor, outside of wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

ShelzMike

Reaction score
A simple best practice question. I am remodeling our smallish bathroom and installing a shower/tub valve (Delta Multichoice). My supply lines are all PEX, but I will be fixture connecting with copper (sweat, not press or Sharkbite). Initially, I was going to run the supply PEX up into the wall and connect them to the copper stubs coming from the valve. Then it struck me, I have a full unfinished basement with full access to floor joists and all the plumbing and electrical that I ever need. Thankful for that.

So, I thought, wouldn't it make sense to have as few necessary connections as possible inside the wall? Meaning, should I extend the copper stubs to below the floor and make the PEX to copper connection between the floor joists? I do plan on putting an access panel in the wall behind the shower plumbing, but I'd still think even with the access door fixing that PEX that is lower down would be near impossible, if of course, any problem does such arise. Or does it matter really?

Fitter30

Reaction score
There should be less connections with PEX and as long as there is water or air test on the piping and valves wouldn't have any hesitates about PEX.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fewer fittings are always fewer chance of leaks. However, I never think that what I'm installing will ever leak. I use the best pipe and fittings and install them properly and never have to lose sleep wondering. We often build a tub/shower tree out of copper and use the copper as the support to the studs. With the Delta valve, you have an easy bracket that can be screwed to a backer board to accomplish that too.

I don't think it matters a whole lot where your transition is.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The main thing is to have copper to the tub spout, but like Tuttles Revenge above, I too make up the tub/shower in copper so that that part is all solid and gives me something I can secure to and then run PEX to the inlets at some point.

ShelzMike

Reaction score
The main thing is to have copper to the tub spout, but like Tuttles Revenge above, I too make up the tub/shower in copper so that that part is all solid and gives me something I can secure to and then run PEX to the inlets at some point.

Yeah, this is exactly what I meant and what I plan to do. I was just asking where the inlet connection should go or if it really matters. I love PEX and every bit I have installed, including underground supply from meter, don't cause to stay up at night and never have. Never had an issue, I just like the least amount of connections in the wall as possible. This way in that 1 in 10,000 chance something happens, id kick myself for not extending the copper below floor where that PEX to copper transition would be more readily accessible. I think that's probably my answer. Sounds like it really doesn't matter as long as it's done right so it's really preference after that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks