Is it a Gas Valve or a Water Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hi,

I was told by a natural gas company service person that a ball valve (shut-off) in a 1/2 inch gas line was for water and not gas.

How can he tell the difference? This is an older valve with no labels. Many ball valve shut-offs are for water and natural gas.

Thanks,
Bill

SacCity

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
saccityplumbing.com
What color is the handle?
I bought a bunch of valves today,
THe gas valves had yellow handles on them.
On the side in the casting it had "1/2 psi"

Not sure what the other colors are off hand, Red & Green....

Michael

Wallskev

Reaction score
Handle Color not the Clue !

I would not go by the color of the Handle. I have many yellow handled Water ball valves and even a Blue Handle Gas valve.

Most have a rating stamped on them. You will see WOG on the side. This stands for Water, Oil or Gas. Most gas valves are brass and much heavier than standard valves. The difference is in the internal sealing of the ball. Gas valves are better.

Most of the ones I could check have WOG on them. I have 1 with just a G on it . Also don't go by the Handle type either as I have a gas Ball valve with a long handle (Red).

Possibly there is some other evidence that will help. The 1/2 psi indication , if there is no G would make me think it is for water but I am not a valve manufacturer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The color of the handle usually identifies the manufacturer, NOT the valve's usage. Valves with WOG on them are for liquid gas, unless they also have the AGA tag. Technically, they are NOT natural gas valves but do function for that purpose. AGA certified valves are usually less expensive, however.

Molo

Reaction score
The ball-valve had a red handle and no markings. I do not know how the gas company determined it was a water valve and not a gas valve.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't know if we have a definitive answer here yet. I always thought that to be used for gas, the valve had to be AGA listed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks