Is Harvey plumbers grease safe for potable water?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Tie Minnow, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Tie Minnow

Tie Minnow New Member

Hey guys. I may just be paranoid here but I installed a water softener yesterday and it was leaking at the head of the tank. I took the valve assembly off and noticed a big o ring so I layed a thick amount of Harvey's faucet grease on it. No luck. Took it back apart wiped it all off to inspect where the leak was occurring and layed another healthy amount of grease on the o ring and put it back together. Do you guys know if this stuff is safe for potable water? My main concern is my pregnant wife. Thanks a bunch guys.

2. PlumbNuts

PlumbNuts SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor

Owner, Plumbing Repair Service
    Source: Oateys website
    Answer: No, this product does not have a NSF listing.

The proper solution is to replace o-ring but if you are going to try to get a little more life you should use a siliconized lubricant.
    I have also tried the grease before and have not had any success with it.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Tie Minnow

Tie Minnow New Member

I have the the softener bypassed. do you think there is any health concerns with this grease entering my lines?

5. PlumbNuts

PlumbNuts SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor

Owner, Plumbing Repair Service
    I am not a healthcare expert but IMHO even though the product is not NSF rated it is most likely still safe enough for potable water and when you consider that it will be broken down into very minute particles by the time it reaches the point of use I would not be overly concerned.