Is Harvey plumbers grease safe for potable water?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tie Minnow

Reaction score
Hey guys. I may just be paranoid here but I installed a water softener yesterday and it was leaking at the head of the tank. I took the valve assembly off and noticed a big o ring so I layed a thick amount of Harvey's faucet grease on it. No luck. Took it back apart wiped it all off to inspect where the leak was occurring and layed another healthy amount of grease on the o ring and put it back together. Do you guys know if this stuff is safe for potable water? My main concern is my pregnant wife. Thanks a bunch guys.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Source: Oateys website
Answer: No, this product does not have a NSF listing.

The proper solution is to replace o-ring but if you are going to try to get a little more life you should use a siliconized lubricant.
I have also tried the grease before and have not had any success with it.

Tie Minnow

Reaction score
I have the the softener bypassed. do you think there is any health concerns with this grease entering my lines?

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
I have the the softener bypassed. do you think there is any health concerns with this grease entering my lines?
I am not a healthcare expert but IMHO even though the product is not NSF rated it is most likely still safe enough for potable water and when you consider that it will be broken down into very minute particles by the time it reaches the point of use I would not be overly concerned.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks