Is Ground Wire necessary on sub pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jfharper

Reaction score
I'm installing a new sub and it has 4 wires, RYBG. My wire running up my drop pipe has only 3-wires, RYB to my control box. The old sub only had RYB coming off of the pump and that is how it was wired to the control box.

Is the G wire necessary?

Reach4

Reaction score
Necessary? The pump doesn't care. Newer codes call for the ground to be run back to the breaker panel.

I don't think you are required to bring existing pump wire up to that when replacing a pump. I think it is common to tape the not-connected end of the green wire with the other wires. I am not a pro.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes it is necessary according to the National Electric Code. That is the only acceptable answer by anyone in the profession.

Yes a pump installer is required by the NEC to add a grounding wire to an existing installation if the pump is pulled and reinstalled.

This has been the law for over 30 years. Agree or disagree with the NEC, it’s still required.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
My code says there has to be a ground so we change the wire. It's been that way long enough that changing the wire is generally a good idea anyway.

If you want to reuse the same wire and the pump is 1.5hp or less you can change it over to a 2wire motor and use the yellow for the ground.

If you install it without a ground, the green lead can wick water into the motor housing.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes a pump installer is required by the NEC to add a grounding wire to an existing installation if the pump is pulled and reinstalled.

This has been the law for over 30 years. Agree or disagree with the NEC, it’s still required.
Fortunately my well people did not see it that way when they removed my pit and reinstalled the pump with a pitless. Maybe codes differ. Maybe interpretations differ.

The wires from the house to the well are buried. I wouldn't have liked them to having to install new wire with a ground to the well.

Actually, there were 3 conductors run underground, because an earlier pump had been a 3 wire. But a ground wire needs to be bare or green. To re-purpose a red as a ground would not be allowed under the NEC I think (NEC 250.119). So my red is taped off in case I want a 3 wire pump some day.

I think it is permissible to replace an existing electric oven or stove where the neutral wire is connected to the frame. Running new wire is not required for that. Now that sounds a little dangerous. Not having a ground wire to a submersible pump seems really safe to me.

Last edited:

Paltus

Reaction score
So I got a 3 wire pump with wires marked UVW and no obvious place to connect ground on the pump.

Can I use SS safety cable as ground ?

Reach4

Reaction score
So I got a 3 wire pump with wires marked UVW and no obvious place to connect ground on the pump.
Tell us more about that pump motor. UVW is sometimes used to label wires on a 3-phase motor.

Can I use SS safety cable as ground ?
Electrically I think it would be safe. To have a "safety cable" may not be safe, because if falls in you are in very bad shape.

Paltus

Reaction score
Tell us more about that pump motor. UVW is sometimes used to label wires on a 3-phase motor.

looks like a Chinese knock off of something really good. Actually looks good too. The controller box and sensors I'm not quite sure about.
If it in fact can do 300' I'd be pretty happy. Very low starting torque :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MF13KPZ

the weird looking accessory is a replacement screw impeller ? or what is that thing for ?

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Most solar pumps are positive displacement and have diaphragms, pistons, or screws. And yes they will need to be replaced fairly often unlike centrifugal impellers used on most pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks