Is anyone familiar with Swanstone solid surface walls for bathtub/shower walls?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I have an old 1920’s home/bathroom that I’m remodeling with the old cast iron bathtub with skirt. It is against 2 walls. I want to put Swanstone on those 2 walls. I already have greenboard up and I know I have to prime walls before Swanstone goes up. The tub measures 30.5 inches wide, 66.5 inches deep and the height of wall above tub is 75 inches. The lip of the side of tub (66.5) is up against the green board so when I install Swanstone which is only ¼ inch thick – this will be the only overhang along side of tub. Of course there is some settling from the foot of the tub towards the head there is a slight dip.

My questions are. (1) With what I have, can someone please tell me the best way to ensure great looking walls taking into considerations the dip(s) in the floor (how to measure for this), and maybe using something to transition from tub to Swanstone walls? My worries are the corners and top seam my not butt/line correctly because of the unleveled floor. (2) I’m not sure if there is a slight gap in the corner seam when I’m done if there is a product besides caulk to hide the imperfections and more importantly, prevent moisture from penetrating those imperfections. (3) I don’t like the idea of the ¼ inch overhang along the side of the tub so I thought of a transition piece may work, creating more of an overhang, but I don’t know what’s out there.

I’m creating a groutless bathroom. (4) The walls are going to be beadboard with a chair rail molding – any suggestions transitioning beadboard to Swanstone also?

Those are my 4 questions. Thank you…

Brian

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
how good are you with a router or saber saw??

the more you can get that swanstone to fit down into and touch the actual tub ,
the better off it will look and be....but you will be wise to put a good healthy bead of Silicone along that area between the tub and the walls.

it depends on how old your home is and how crorked your walls are....

swanstone does make trim that will match the walls you are putting up and it will hide all gaps or imperfectioins in the angles .. it is just like putting up CORIAN...

they both need trim in certian areas cause you cant make it exactly perfect

figure on useing lots of clear 100% SILICONE and it willwork out good...

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
That sounds great - and thenks!

I'm left with only one question. Where the 2 walls meet (where the Swanstone panels will meet) if that seam isn't perfect - is there something I can use to cover the seam?

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
Thank you again...

Loved Indianapolis when stationed there in 1981, than back a cpl times in the mid and late 80's.

Bjferri

DoD Army
Reaction score
I plan too. Thanks.

Hey, Love Arizona. We zig zagged from the Grand Canyon to Bisbee on our last 2 vacations there! Awesome! Great places like Flagstaff, Cottonwood, Jerome, etc...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks