Is access necessary behind tub fixtures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jseward

Reaction score
Please excuse the rookie question. I'm going to remove an old tub and reinstall a new one (fiberglass). Obviously I have to remove the overflow and drain fixtures on the tub and install new ones on the new tub. My question is do I need to have access to the fixtures from the "backside" of the wall in order to accomplish this? If so, it will be a problem since I have no access to that side of the wall.
John

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
access

An ecperienced plumber would not need that access, but I am not sure if you have the necessary ability to make the installation that way. Doing it without access usually only gives you one chance to do it correctly, or you have to cut everything out and start over, and you normally do not get many chances to do so before you run out of room to cut it apart.

John Bridge

Mudmeister
Reaction score
Website
johnbridge.com
I think you can do it with a plastic tub. You'll be able to lift the tub back out if you haven't adjusted the drain and overflow correctly. I sure wouldn't want to do it with a cast iron tub, though. :D

RCraig

Reaction score
I know nothing but for your future sanity, it would be preferable to be able to have access. At least this is what I have found with plumbing problems over the years. Ruth

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks