Is a slip on tub spout better than a threaded one?

Users who are viewing this thread

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
I currently have a slip on tub spout but I am changing all of my fixtures to brushed nickel. Is the slip on spout style the most leakproof?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Each one, when installed properly on undamaged pipe, work well, and do not leak. A slip-on spout relies on a setscrew to hold it in position, and that can dimple or score the pipe. Depending on the new one you choose, if that dimple or scratch ended up under the seal of the new one, it may be really hard to get it to seal. With threaded ones, it depends on the design. But, getting it to tighten up at the wall while being leak-free at the same time can be harder. Delta make one that sort of combines the two. You solder on their adapter, then screw the spout to it. Instead of the tapered pipe thread and pipe dope making the seal, it relies on a gasket seal in a similar manner as the slip on, but the adapter is solid, and soldered onto the pipe which can overcome minor scratches or a dimple.

newowner

Homeowner
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Delta make one that sort of combines the two. You solder on their adapter, then screw the spout to it. Instead of the tapered pipe thread and pipe dope making the seal, it relies on a gasket seal in a similar manner as the slip on, but the adapter is solid, and soldered onto the pipe which can overcome minor scratches or a dimple.[/QUOTE]
jadnashua, do you happen to have a part number for that Delta one? I wonder if it is metal construction and not plastic? I also wonder if all the plastic internal parts in the tub spouts are in order to prevent lead in the bath water?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme of the Delta tub spouts come with this adapter http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairparts/details/rp12307.html?showPhotoGallery=false
If you have a pipe thread sticking out (say a pipe nipple) you can screw the adapter to it, then screw the spout to the adapter. OR, you can solder the adapter to the pipe sticking out, then screw the spout on. I used one of these when I updated the valve at my mother's house http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/rp17454.html#/?tab=ask_answer . This makes things a little easier since it gives you some flexibility about getting the pipe length or a more conventional adapter just right so things tighten up enough to not leak while the spout is back against the wall. On this, the seal is via the O-ring, and there's a fair amount of room to screw it in without compromising the seal. Take the O-ring off before you solder it to the pipe to keep from damaging it. Their spouts come in various styles.

Many of them have some plastic parts and, yes, it is for the lead issues (not sure why someone might want to drink out of the tub faucet, but hey). Plastic is also a lot less expensive. ON the spout I listed, it used to be available in both a plastic version and a metal one, but I do not know if that is still the case.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks