Is a Re-Vent Necessary / Advisable?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a small bathroom that I am renovating. This bathroom started out as a 1/2 bath with laundry hookup. I have moved the laundry upstairs and wish to convert this bathroom into a 3/4 bath by adding a shower. After removing most of the slab to expose the plumbing I have come across a few concerns / questions after combing through the forums for similar situations.

It looks like a vertical wet vent was serving some of the original bathroom group including the emergency floor drain. I know this can create issues with trap siphoning when high volume devices dump into the same line. I have the opportunity now to re-vent the new shower drain line and others if necessary or advisable.

Information:

The drain stack is in 3" ABS. The vent stack is in 2" ABS

The lav comes in the top of the stack in 1.5" ABS

The original washing machine drain line (now upstairs) comes in below the lav in 2" ABS. Note: I would like to have the line come into the stack on the same side as the lav.

Below that is the emergency floor drain (will become a shower drain) in 2" ABS. I will run the water heater T&P line outside properly sloped and terminated above ground.

Last on the stack is the W/C in 3" ABS

The picture was taken from inside the kitchen area. The wall is not completely framed at this point. The wall will be supporting cabinetry and is not load bearing.

Questions:

Is it ok to use a santee on a 45 degree angle where they connected the floor drain to the stack like they did originally or should a long turn wye combo have been used?

Would it be better to bring in the washer drain line below all the others... or keep its position on the stack the same and maybe re-vent the new shower drain or more of the bathroom group tying in at 42" above the floor?

Maybe I can keep it all as is? (wishful thinking probably).

I know there are multiple ways to solve this issue. Since I am having this work inspected I would appreciate any guidance you experts can give to help prevent me from ripping out any work I have done.

I would have liked to draw something up with the fittings and layout I plan to use but I'm not sure of the best route to take. I still can draw something out for you to review once I have a starting point.

Thank you all so much!

PROPOSED.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The washer comes in downstream of all of that.
A washer can't be any part of a bathroom wet vent.
And wet venting isn't done between floors.

DIY Lemon

Reaction score
The washer comes in downstream of all of that.
A washer can't be any part of a bathroom wet vent.
And wet venting isn't done between floors.

Thanks Terry, I have had two plumbers come out to bid this job and both of them would have done it the way you said not to. I really appreciate the advice and direction to get it done right. How does this look? I was also planning on including a cleanout for the washer drain line near the base but I forgot to include it in the drawing.

DWVBATH.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks