Is a Liner for Copper Pipe Hangers Necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorldPeace

Reaction score
I am installing a copper manifold for my home water supply. I'm going to use these copper bell hanger straps to fix the copper manifold to plywood. But, I notice that they don't include a liner. But, I've also seen pipe restraints that are sold with liners like here.

I am wondering why the copper pipe hangers I see for sale don't include a liner. Since pressurized pipes constantly move around, wouldn't the friction between the pipe hanger and the pipe eventually wear down the pipe?

Is there a pipe liner that you can buy separately, which is made of neoprene, silicone, or Teflon?

Reach4

Reaction score
You make a good point.
Just an idea: Maybe go up in size on the bell hanger, and use sliced segments of PEX. 3/4 PEX is about 0.681 ID, and 1/2 inch copper is 0.625 OD. Maybe rip the pex on a table saw where the kerf cuts a segment out.

Or maybe use some 5/8 ID vinyl tubing (over 1/2 inch copper) to make the little cushions/insulators.

Those bell hanger are copper plated steel.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We're pulling apart a lot of work from the early days of copper installations where J-Nails were the norm. They were generally copper coated steal and sharp edged. They did cause a lot of squeaking/creaking noises, but I doubt I've seen one wear through a tube. The bell hangers you've linked look like they provide a large flat surface. An extra layer couldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary. The biggest benefit may be in noise transfer reduction tho and that alone would make it worth it to me.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's an isolated copper manifold for PEX (not specified in the OP, but common), I would think it wouldn't be moving much (not much length for thermal expansion).

Cheers, Wayne

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Great idea. They sell Teflon pipe that should work. I'll just cut and glue a small ring to the clamp.

You make a good point.
Just an idea: Maybe go up in size on the bell hanger, and use sliced segments of PEX. 3/4 PEX is about 0.681 ID, and 1/2 inch copper is 0.625 OD. Maybe rip the pex on a table saw where the kerf cuts a segment out.

Or maybe use some 5/8 ID vinyl tubing (over 1/2 inch copper) to make the little cushions/insulators.

Those bell hanger are copper plated steel.

WorldPeace

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just add some Teflon cushion to minimize any noise. It doesn't cost much and doesn't require that much more work. Thanks!

We're pulling apart a lot of work from the early days of copper installations where J-Nails were the norm. They were generally copper coated steal and sharp edged. They did cause a lot of squeaking/creaking noises, but I doubt I've seen one wear through a tube. The bell hangers you've linked look like they provide a large flat surface. An extra layer couldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary. The biggest benefit may be in noise transfer reduction tho and that alone would make it worth it to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks