Is a flow rate meter a good option for me? If so, which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sid Post

Reaction score
I have a chlorinator system headed my way with a contact tank. Is a flow rate meter a good idea to help me set the right chlorination level for my daily use versus contact tank capacity? My well is in an area with several commercial chicken producers and I will have a rainwater backup to my well water. I should note that my rainwater catchment will have a diverter to catch the initial dirt and bird dropping runoff before it fills up and diverts into my 'cistern' storage tank.

I would like to reduce my chlorination level to the lowest reasonable setting so, I am thinking a flow rate meter is a good idea. Googling a little bit and searching this forum left me without a good resolution as to whether a flow rate meter is a good idea and if so, which one to get (reasonable cost, reasonable quality, reasonably accurate).

I am willing to pay for quality if that is really required but, I'm not opposed to using a cheaper meter if it will serve my needs. Specific meter models or brands to seek or avoid would be appreciated.

TIA,
Sid

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Pumps will give you a very consistent flow rate at set pressures. If you are filling a system with a contact tank from say 40 to 60 PSI, the flow rate into the tank will always be about the same. Measure with a bucket how many gallons you get out of the pressure tank part of the system as the pressure falls from 60 to 40 PSI. Once the pump comes on, close the faucet and measure how long it takes to pump the system back up to 60 PSI where the pump shuts off. The amount of water you measure in the bucket between 60 and 40 divided by the time it takes to fill the tank from 40 to 60 will give you the Gallons Per Minute GPM you are pumping. The chlorinator can be set to inject into this flow rate.

However, if you have a variable flow or constant pressure system like a CSV or a VFD, you will need to use a chlorinator that can read a flow meter and inject the chlorine proportionally. Most times you can adjust the chlorinator to the average flow rate, but a meter would make it more accurate.

Reach4

Reaction score
Another option would be to chlorinate the water to be stored to a higher level, and have a GAC tank remove the chlorine from the water that will be used immediately.

Sid Post

Reaction score
Are you consuming this water?

Yes, this water is going into my house. That's why I want to chlorinate it. The rainwater is coming off an open equipment shed so, my concern is that the birds that roost there will contaminate it. The well water is less of a concern but, I am concerned that chicken waste runoff could find its way into my well too.

I don't want to get sick or have someone else get sick, from my household water.

Sid Post

Reaction score
However, if you have a variable flow or constant pressure system like a CSV or a VFD, you will need to use a chlorinator that can read a flow meter and inject the chlorine proportionally. Most times you can adjust the chlorinator to the average flow rate, but a meter would make it more accurate.

Initially, I was going to use a switch tied to my pressure switch to dispense the chlorine. However, that wouldn't work with an IBC filled with rainwater and a separate pump. I guess I could always hand treat the IBC water though.

I also would like to 'log' my household water use too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks