Is 1 1/4" drop pipe too large?

Users who are viewing this thread

tim1000

Reaction score
My pump hangs at 65' from well cap. It is a 1/2 hp pump rated at 12gpm. The previous installation used 1" poly drop pipe. I want to replace the drop pipe. I already have some new 1 1/4" polypipe. My question is 'Would 1-1/4" be too large for this application?'. My concern would be the water weight above the pump and pressure issues.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why would you want to change it? Pumps are hung on 1" poly all the time, sometimes as deep as 500'.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My concern would be the water weight above the pump and pressure issues.
As craigpump said, pumps are hung much deeper so weight is not an issue. What concerns do you have of pressure? What is the PSI rating of the old and new poly?

tim1000

Reaction score
100 psi on both. My concerns on the pressure would be if the pump had to work harder to attain the same pressure. I don't have to use the 1-1/4". It's just there and I don't have to make that purchase. If there were any cons to using it, I wouldnt have a problem purchasing the 1". Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
They are asking why you do not continue to use the existing pipe rather than replace it at all. Your pump would not work harder with the bigger pipe, and if it is what have handy, then it will very good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks