Irrigation well pump somethings doesn't pump water when cut in pressure low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mac McMahon

Reaction score
This past week I noticed my irrigation system runs when first started. During the zone 1 water pressure drops and the sprinkler head stop spitting out water. I looked at the pressure gauge at shows 0 pressure. About 60 seconds later I hear water filling tank and sprinkler has water coming out. Then after tank fills up to 50 PSI pump turns off and water pressure goes low again and tank is empty.

I checked the pressure in the water tank and reads 28 psi which is correct. I also checked the voltage on the pressure switch. When the system is on and water pressure goes past 28 psi no water is pumping. I place a volt meter on the wires going to the pump side and reads 238 volts. So the pump has power. Then after about 60 seconds water starts filling tank again.

Is the pump motor going bad? is the pump motor overheating? Is there a leak in the pipes in ground?

Reach4

Reaction score
I assume that the only tank is the pressure tank and you judge "filling the tank" by a rising pressure gauge. Where is the pump?

Do the pressure switch wires go out to pump directly, or is there a control box between?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Typical failure mode of a submersible pump. Pump has cycled on and off as many times as it was designed to do. It starts tripping the overload in the motor. Overload takes 60 seconds or so before it automatically resets and the pump starts again. Overload has probably tripped many times that you are not aware of. Soon, and at the worst possible time, it just won't start again.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
........Is the pump motor going bad? is the pump motor overheating? Is there a leak in the pipes in ground?

I placed a volt meter on the wires going to the pump side and reads 238 volts. So the pump has power.

Is your pump and tank for irrigation only or does it also provide domestic water. It is assumed you have a submersible pump?

A leak wouldn't recover with a submersible. Voltage is important but a loop meter would read if the motor is drawing power. Loop meters (are volt ohm meters) that can read high amperage without leads and are available at the stores and are fairly reasonable in cost. The Valveman diagnosis seems to be right on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks