Irrigation Well Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

RickD

Reaction score
There was an irrigation well present when I bought this house, but the pump didn't work. I bought a new pump & installed it. It runs, but no water comes out. I filled the well with water to find out if it might be blocked. The water goes down very slowly. Can you help?

Teets

CT pump guy
Reaction score
If the pump runs correct amperage with no water delivery at the outlet with the water level in the well going down, I would suspect an underground leak and would be prepared to do some pressure testing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
After you filled the well with water, was the pump working? Was the water "going down slowly" in the drop pipe or the well casing? How far down is the water? What kind of pump, sub or above ground?

RickD

Reaction score
Yes, the pump's working. Water was going down slowly in the drop pipe. The water is down around 15 ft...it's an above ground pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Put a new foot valve on the bottom of the drop pipe and make sure all the connections are tight. Most jet pumps will lift from 15', just not if you have a leak in that suction line.

RickD

Reaction score
Sorry, my mistake...I meant well casing, not drop pipe. I appreciate your expertise.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Water going down slow in the casing means water will probably come out slow as well. If a well won't take water, it won't make water. So when you get the pump running, see what the pumping level of the well is. A jet pump can't lift from much more than 20'.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks