Irrigation valve box keeps flooding

Users who are viewing this thread

roughyear

Reaction score
My front yard valving housing box, which has 4 solenoids in it, keeps filling with water. The one guy that does my system maintenance and winterization says its normal
confused.png
blink.png

When I look in the box, like today as I'm looking for a darn short in the system, there is a lot of water, covering all the solenoids and most of the wires.

The box will not empty unless the system doesn't run for a prolonged period of time; sometimes I have to use a syphon tubing to get the water out. Any advise on what is causing it to fill so much? Also, how unsafe is it for the solenoids/system with all this water in this box? I don't know if drilling several holes into the bottom would work, as the ground in that are is all clay.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It's quite common here in Florida with extreme heavy summer thunderstorms. The box will fill up with water and slit will fill in. They do not stay dry since the entire bottom of the box is open and the valves and solenoids do get buried all the time.

To get a fix on yours, use a shop vac to suck out all the water and mud then with a small hand shovel scoop out as much dirt as possible. I'll even use a hose to wash things down with a hose and use the shop vac to dry it out. If possible you remove the entire box, not hard to do, dig down under the valves so there is air below them. (Reinstall the irrigation box and level off after the leak check). Now run your irrigation system and see if there is a leak. It's hard to drain valves for the winter unless air was used and it is not alway successful. The small passages can hold water, freese and cause small cracks. Go through all 4 zones checking for leaks. If no leaks are found, it is runoff and groundwater working itself in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks