Irrigation Pump with Relay Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

PawleysDude

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a new neighbor install a pressure gauge on his irrigation pump. With my system, it's simple. My pump is wired directly to a junction box. I kill the circuit breaker to the pump, then run a zone to depressurize the pump.

With his system, I'm confused. It includes a relay switch between the junction box and the pump. In the junction box, there's a metal plate installed that prevents us from killing the circuit breaker. The previous owner had the system professionally installed, so I assume all that's legit. Regardless, an "easy" job doesn't feel that way any longer.

Any suggestions on how I go about getting pressure off his pump, so that I can replace one of the pump plugs with a pressure gauge? Thanks for any suggestions.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is controlling the pump? Irrigation timers (controllers) have a output to operate a 24v relay (pump start relay) to put power to the pump motor. A pressure switch will not work unless there is a pressure tank. As soon as the pressure switch turns off power, pressure will immediately drop and the pump will start up again. It will cycle several times a second which is very bad for the pump motor. An irrigation controller will operate the pump start relay while the program is running for irrigation.

......... I'm confused. It includes a relay switch between the junction box and the pump. In the junction box, there's a metal plate installed that prevents us from killing the circuit breaker. ...........Any suggestions on how I go about getting pressure off his pump, so that I can replace one of the pump plugs with a pressure gauge? Thanks for any suggestions.

Not sure what you mean but this may be the pump start relay. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram but not having success. Stop what you're doing and state what is wanted. Just to run the irrigation system, that is easy. Want to manual turn on a zone, it can be done from the controller.

Here is a Rainbird pump start relay utilizing a pressure SENSOR. Maybe this is what you have?
https://www.rainbird.com/media/4451

Last edited:

PawleysDude

Reaction score
The pump and the controller are working fine. When the last zone finishes, the pump runs briefly to build up pressure. All I want to do is to temporarily release the water pressure in the pump, so that I can install a pressure gauge on the pump. On my system, I would trip the pump's circuit breaker while a zone is running, dropping the pressure to zero. Since I cannot trip the breaker on my neighbor's system, I cannot figure out how to drop the water pressure within the pump.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If the controller is operating the pump start relay, it will shut off the same time as the zone does? I'm not sure the reason wanting the drop the pressure when there shouldn't be any. If any pressure remains it is from the pump to the zone valves and it might be a few pounds. Sorry I cannot understand this setup reasoning.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
..........Since I cannot trip the breaker on my neighbor's system, I cannot figure out how to drop the water pressure within the pump.

Two ways, disconnect the low voltage wire to the pump start relay and operate a zone to open a zone valve..

Second, manual open a zone valve buy turning the valve solenoid at least a 1/4 turn or more counter clockwise.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks