Irrigation pump operation

Users who are viewing this thread

uniqueusername66725

Reaction score
I have a jet pump connected to a small pressure tank that is used to irrigate the garden from rainwater cisterns. The system is set for 30/50 psi cut on/off.

If I run the irrigation fully open, the demand seems to be about 300 gal/hour, so 5 gal/min. This causes the pump to run continuously as the pressure tank only holds about 2 gal (judging by the size of it).

Is this how I should operate the system, with the pump running continuously, or should I throttle back the flow so that the pump runs more like 1 min on, 2 min off? The latter would make for quite long irrigation time settings to deliver the needed water amount, with the pump going on about 60 or 70 times.

I'm asking as I'm trying to reduce the wear on the pump and I've heard conflicting things about pump cycling.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
There is no conflicting information about pump cycling. Cycling destroys the pump and everything in a pump system period. Pumps are made for continuous use 24/7/365. I have one that hasn't shut off in 18 years. You still need pressure tank if using a pressure switch to control the pump. The tank is for times when the pump is off and helps some when not using enough water to keep the pump running continuously. If all the pump is used for is irrigation you can do away with the tank and pressure switch by using the pump start relay in the irrigation controller. But that way there is not way to use hoses or anything that is not on the irrigation timer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks