irrigating with water collecting behind retaining wall

Users who are viewing this thread

sse

Reaction score
I have a 40 foot retaining wall behind which the grass is almost always soaked. Turns out there is ALOT of water there. I dug a hole about a foot deep 2 weeks ago, and it's still full of water.

I have decided to pump this water into a tank (slowly overnight using a short well point and pump) then use the water in the tank for irrigation. I do have a septic system, but it about 80 feet away.

Do I need to be concerned about bacteria or phosphates or anything else for that matter if I am just irrigating? Are there other things I should test the water for to be sure it is safe.

I am not worried about irrigating the lawn, but I am concerned about irrigating my vegetable garden with this water.

Thank you!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Drive the point at an angle almost horizontal into the bank. The pressure there should be enough so that sewage from your septic field would not migrate there.

sse

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. From what I have seen, just digging 1 foot down, it looks like the retaining wall is holding back quite a bit of water.

Not sure angling the well point would change the source of the water that much, since I wasn't going very deep in the first place.

Either way, I really want to test the water still to make sure it safe to irrigate a vegetable garden. Do you know what I should test for, and if those diy test kits are any good?

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks