Iron toilet drain, no flange, 1 bolt disintgrated, other rusted on?

Users who are viewing this thread

eva01

Reaction score
I don't plan on pouring any lead, going with some kind of rubber seal. I've been trying to do some more reading to figure this out. Maybe a closet flange repair kit would work in this case?

I also may need to raise the floor height higher than it was previously. So I've been reading there are extenders I could use over the current flange? I'm still not sure how those are suppose to attach to my current cast iron flange though.

The twist and set from oatey looks promising, but I'm going to have to go to the store to make sure it'll fit in my pipe. It may be too long as my pipe runs horizontally out, and curves up a very short distance.

eva01

Reaction score
Ok I bought the cast iron replacement flange and it seems to fit ok. I didn't remove the old flange though, I'm still trying to figure out the heights to see if I need to. I need to raise the height of my floor anyway, to create a stable subfloor around these tricky areas of pipe.

If I remove the old flange, I'll build up the plywood, then tile, and secure the new flange into the plywood and have it sitting flush with the tile. As long as it's secured to the floor, and the rubber seal fills any gap in the pipe, I should be golden right?

I may be able to keep the old flange in, and just treat it as part of the pipe. As long as there's a layer in between the old and new flange, and it's secure I should be good.

Hopefully I'm not missing something here. Since my rough-in is 10.5", I'm looking to get the AS Cadet 3 10" rough in toilet. The reviews seem favorable here. I was originally going to get the only 10" rough available locally at HD, a Pegasus Cottage...which don't have favorable reviews.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

What kind of flange did you buy? If it fits over the outside of the pipe, there is no way you can leave the old flange on it, and if it goes inside you had better make sure it is fairly smooth so the rubber gasket will seal to it. Personally, I do not use the internal expansion ones.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flange should be installed on top of the FINISHED floor, and anchored through it. If you have enough room to get a decent piece of ply over the floor and the old flange and everything is nice and flat AND you can clean enough crud off the inside of the pipe so you can achieve a good seal, then you should be able to use the internal one.

It would be best if you leaded in a new one.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
If molten lead is not your cup of tea, try one of these compression type flanges:

Available at your local plumbing supply house

Attachments

• jonespec-cf-2980.gif
    jonespec-cf-2980.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks