Iron Pipe: Is this an acceptable cut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
I'm fooling around with some of the work the plumber before me did on the waste stack, and came across a cut iron pipe end that looks pretty nasty.

I ended up doing all my cuts with a cut-off wheel, so everything came out flat and clean (2nd photo).

The cut I unearthed -- well, pic #1 speaks for itself. Is this typical of a pipe cutter on new no-hub CI? There's no way the neoprene sleeve was sitting flush on top of this. In fact, any fitting I place on top of this naturally wants to sit at a lean of 10 or 15°.

It's been installed for about a year, and has only seen light use connected to the only toilet in the house during construction. No evidence of leaks.

Should I leave it alone? I'm wondering what else I'm going to discover if I pull this section off to clean it up.

nasty-cut-pipe.jpg

clean-cut-pipe.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Snap cut pipe is typically a little rough. The Shielded Rubber couplings have a ridge that prevents the two pipes from touching.
It's fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If we had to put a "square" on the cutter every time we wanted to cut cast iron, we would never get anything done. And the cutter, by its nature, does make a ragged edge. Your pipe is fine.

DavidTu

Reaction score
I've been using an abrasion cut-off saw to cut my CI and I end up with very clean sharp edges. I've been chamfering the edges inside and out with a half-round file out of concern that the sharp edges might somehow work against the rubber coupling sleeve (particularly the ridge) and cause some problems. Am I being paranoid or is it a good idea to file the edges as I've been doing?

Also, a little off-topic... in some cases the shielding on the coupling gets a bit crunched on one side (say if the two sides are inadvertently tightened unevenly)... the result (when re-tightened evenly) is that there is sometimes a little bulge in the shielding. Is that acceptable or should any such shieldings be discarded? (I can supply a picture if needed.)

Thanks!

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
The only thing I would do is to make sure there isn't a lip on the INSIDE of the iron, the band bulge I wouldn't worry about unless it's extreme.

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE PARANOID DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE NOT BEING WATCHED! LOL

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks