Iron Out on Iron Curtain Media

Users who are viewing this thread

Electrostrong

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Does anyone know if iron out can be used safely on Hellenbrand Iron Curtain media filters?

This spring I plan to do a fairly thorough cleaning of our water system. I'd like to pull the filter tank, fill it with an IO solution so that it's full, and then let it sit overnight and then flush it.

It sounds like the media is "proprietary" but I was hoping someone here kinda knows what it is and whether my IO solution would cause damage.

Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
While I don't have an answer to your question, I have an idea of how to treat media with IO without pulling the valve.

Basically it would be to turn off the pump. Then put the valve into either backwash or fast rinse. Then use a utility pump to pump water from a big bucket into the drain valve for the pressure tank. Then feed the drain line of the filter back into the bucket.

I plan to try something like that in the spring, because I then want to pump the solution out to somewhere other than where my filter drain usually goes.

Electrostrong

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply @Reach4 - that's a great idea - I may want to even update the plumbing to support a direct hose attachment.

Hopefully someone can answer my media question - I really don't want to destroy it...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks