Iron Filter Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt A

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a rental property in Florida that is on well water. The water is crystal clear with little or no odor but it does have iron. Toilets quickly stain and showers quickly turn Orange. My setup consists of an 85' well with a brand new new Sta-Rite pump and new pressure tank. Followed by a sediment filter and a recently rebuilt aquatrol timered water softener with new resin media and valves. I use Diamond Crystal iron fighter salt and I currently have it set to cycle twice a week. I can fill a water bottle and it is absolutely crystal clear and odorless! Just looking for a recommendation years ago we had a family lake house and we had one of those sodium permanganate filters....had nothing but problems! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt A

Reaction score
OK... I know you guys are going to jump all over me but I did an at home test with a home depot kit but I was very meticulous and very thorough. I used the H20 OK Plus kit.

Here thay are:
Total Hardness 250 ppm
Total Chlorine 0
Alkalinity 180 ppm
PH 8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Copper .6 ppm
Iron 5 ppm
Test was done with raw, unfiltered well water. I then performed a second iron test only with water filtered through the softener and it tested 0.3 ppm. So quite an improvement.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Softeners can reduce ferrous iron but with an 8 pH, this will quickly foul the resin. I would recommend updating the entire system. In general a Katalox Light or Filter-Ox system with a Air injection with ozone is a common method for up to 5 ppm and good pH prior to a softener, and all should be good.

Matt A

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the excellent advice!! After researching what you suggested I think I'll go with a katalox system of some sort. It seems like an excellent product. I will report back with results!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Be wary, most inline companies blend the KL to keep the cost down, most use cheap chinese tanks and valves. Stick with a reputable company that knows what they are doing, AKA, not an online company.

Jerry Downey

Reaction score
Softeners can reduce ferrous iron but with an 8 pH, this will quickly foul the resin. I would recommend updating the entire system. In general a Katalox Light or Filter-Ox system with a Air injection with ozone is a common method for up to 5 ppm and good pH prior to a softener, and all should be good.

Does a higher pH usually burden filter/softener media faster?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks