Iron Filter Backwash/drain Options

Users who are viewing this thread

verbalkint99

Reaction score
Hello again all,

I recently received my katalox light iron filter system and gathered everything I need to do the install, however I am having a difficult time deciding how I want to run the drain for the backwashing.

I picked up a 2.0cf system with an Autotrol valve and do not plan to use any chemical washes at this time. I am on a well (obviously) and have a septic system. I initially planned to just have the drain run to my sump pump but am wondering what the backwash water will do the the sump pump long term. Or what the water will do the the grass at the outlet.

The other option I was reading was to run it to my main sewage/drain line out to the septic tank, but I have two issues with that. First, is the increased volume of water at each rinse cycle going to flood out my tank? And two, my basement walls are 10 feet with the drain line at the top. This is more than the 6 foot rise the instructions list as the max.

That said I have a second crock set up and already attached to septic drain in the basement. The builder set up the basement with the option of adding a full bath down there if I choose. I would just need to get a utility/sump pump for the second crock. The pump wound adjust for the height of the run, but leave me with the same potential problem of the increased volume to the septic.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The height restriction for the backwash cycle is not critical. The max height has more to do with brine draw cycles in low pressure applications. You could simply measure the flow rate at the drain to confirm the flow is very close to the rating. I doubt you would have any problems running it up 10'.

verbalkint99

Reaction score
Thank you Ditto. And it looks like I should not have to worry about the water volume either. I was just reading that each cycle is no different, volume wise, from a washing machine cycle.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks