Iron filter and softener backwash smell in sump pit

Users who are viewing this thread

J.Appleseed

Reaction score
Hello I recently myself repiped my whole house in copper and installed a new pressure tank, 3 stage cartridge filter, iron reducing well filter, and softener. The filters backwash to my sump pit, which in turn discharges out the side of the house and to a drainage ditch at the road. I have a strong rotten egg/sewer smell coming from my sump pit that I assume is from the backwash (when I agitate the bottom of the pit with hose water the smell is horrendous). In Chicago and the ground freezes so trying to find a solution that doesn’t involve drilling through my foundation below the frost line and installing a French drain and/or tying to the drainage ditch? Can I cap the sump pit and vent it somehow? Is there maybe a way to tie a radon ejector fan to a capped sump pit and kill two birds one stone? side note, the membrane filter is only 3 months old so idk if too much rust/sulphur and I should shock the well? Rookie/greenhorn here with very basically no plumbing background..

Attachments

• 0A741E3C-5ADD-4799-B528-14A08FEFBE4E.jpeg
    0A741E3C-5ADD-4799-B528-14A08FEFBE4E.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 87A1F757-9520-4796-A2C3-AD49A3806BA9.jpeg
    87A1F757-9520-4796-A2C3-AD49A3806BA9.jpeg
    51.4 KB · Views: 104

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes.

When you say Chicago, do you mean within the borders of the City of Chicago? I suspect no.

J.Appleseed

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks