Iron bacteria removal

Users who are viewing this thread

MorelMan

Reaction score
I have reviewed various threads but not seen this specifically addressed. Recently replace well pump and piping from foot valve to pump due to iron bacteria build-up. Chlorinated the system and flushed. Problem is horizontal piping from well to house has build up that is still present. My heating source is a pump and dump geo and I have to keep cleaning the strainer due to material still breaking loose and plugging. Would additional chlorination help to speed up break up? Can a well company steam clean the line?

Reach4

Reaction score
Nope. I don't know about pump and dump geo. I presume you are using a jet pump rather than a submersible.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my well sanitizing write-up, but I don't know how much that would adapt to your situation.

To break up stuff, I would be thinking of NuWell or Iron Out, or other acid, and I would recirculate rather than once-thru. I am not a pro.

MorelMan

Reaction score
No, I have a submersible pump But appreciate your response. Things seem to be breaking up and am going to run furnace on backup, propane, and continue to flush pressure tank directly to sump pump for the next few days. If that doesn’t help, then perhaps chlorinate the feed line from the well to the pressure tank again and see if the remainder of the bacteria will break free.

Reach4

Reaction score
A submersible pump system does not have a foot valve. Perhaps you meant the check valve, and having one right above the pump is good. You do not want a check valve above ground, assuming you are using a precharged pressure tank.

MorelMan

Reaction score
No, well feeds house potable water and also pump and dump geothermal for heat and ac.

Bannerman

Reaction score
How was it determined and verified there is iron bacteria present vs simple silt or ferric iron which is plugging the strainer?

Chlorine is the usual recommendation to ensure neutralization of any bacteria. When a bacteria issue is persistent, continuous chlorine injection might be the best and most reliable option.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks