Iron and Manganese Chlorination, Order of Katalox and Carbon filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason MN

Reaction score
Hello - I recently had a katalox and carbon filter installed to take care of iron and manganese (7 ppm and .35 ppm). Also some sulfur odor. I have a 120 gallon contact tank, then the carbon filter, then the katalox filter. I have a bout .8ppm residual chlorine after the contact tank.

Should the installer have put the katalox filter first before the carbon tank? Everything does seem to be working as is.

Jason MN

Reaction score
I have switched the order of the tanks so the katalox filter is first. There is still some iron making it through the katalox filter. Is there a possibility the media was damaged by having it after the carbon tank for a while? Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Sometimes people don't have enough backwash rate with KL. What is your tank diameter, and what is your backwash rate?

Is your tank unpainted, so that you could shine a bright light thru during backwash, and see how much bed expansion that you get?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Be sure to give the KL a good dose of Chlorine to help kick start it. Afterward I would prefer to see about 1-2 ppm residual going into the KL system.

Jason MN

Reaction score
Sometimes people don't have enough backwash rate with KL. What is your tank diameter, and what is your backwash rate?

Is your tank unpainted, so that you could shine a bright light thru during backwash, and see how much bed expansion that you get?

Tanks are 10" and my well is about 8gpm. I'll try that with the light next time they backwash.

Jason MN

Reaction score
Be sure to give the KL a good dose of Chlorine to help kick start it. Afterward I would prefer to see about 1-2 ppm residual going into the KL system.
I have someone else telling me that chlorine will exhaust the katalox media and wear it out much faster. What's your take on that? The company I had install it must agree since they installed them the other way.

Reach4

Reaction score
A good 8 gpm is probably enough in MN. An 8 gpm can often produce more than that. Did you see the recent Charlie Bosco posts? Good reading, and not just that thread.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/backwashed-katalox-with-dlfc-removed-wow.90471/
He is in FL, so has warmer water than you. He lost no KL at 12+gpm with his 10 inch tank.

Besides watching the media bed expansion, you might audit your actual backwash rate. Measure the time to fill a 5 gallon bucket. 8 gpm should do that in 37.5 seconds.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
KL uses chlorine as the "Constant Regen", this is normal, either that or H2o2 or pot perm. Chlorine will also "wear out" the Carbon... we have been doing chlorine injection for many years with thousands of units with KL and bleack/h2o2, no real problems yet. Some minor issues have come up with excessive dosing with h2o2, but this is rare.

upload_2020-11-30_13-46-33.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks