Iron and Arsenic 3 and 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Currently using 20+ year old Culligan AIO filter for the iron removal (some sulfur, not sure on the amount just remember it being noted on some paperwork). It is past the end of it's life and I'm sure it'll die while I'm working out of town for 6+ weeks. Just like the pressure switch on the pump (last week) and the softener did earlier this year. So this time home I want to tackle this project.

Attached is the arsenic test (taken at the kitchen sink) along with the water test (taken at the source). I am also including some pictures of what is currently in use.
I also have a full test from the kitchen sink if that would help.

Lets see if I can get all the important info in the first post:
-10.2 GPM
-Private well
-South Louisiana
-Down to 3 adults + dogs, cats, and fish
1.5 Bath (will be 2 when I have a change to finish the 2nd shower)

Red Flags:
Arsenic 0.051ppm
-Arsenate 0.033ppm
-Aresenite 0.019ppm
Iron 4.51ppm
Maganese 0.319ppm
Hardness 193ppm (0.8ppm after softener)

Kitchen has a 5 stage RO (50gpd) for drinking / cooking
Fleck 5600 for the softener

I've tried local water places around here, but they are just concerned about the hardness of water.

So the last salesperson I talked to said that the RO unit will take care of the Arsenic. After doing some research RO can only take care of Arsenic 5.

So what would / should I replace this antique hardware with? I don't really have a preference of AIO or H2O2.

Thank you for any assistance.

Attachments

• Water Report - Water Source.pdf
    203.2 KB · Views: 94
  • Water Report - Arsenic .pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220111_170444.jpg
    20220111_170444.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 20220111_170356.jpg
    20220111_170356.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Well, one of the salespeople I contacted wants to set me up with a whole house RO system. Just to deal with the arsenic. For the low price of $8,000.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Some backwashing iron filters also take out arsenic if there is enough iron present. I was happily surprised that my arsenic went from .006 ppm to less than the test could measure.
Your level is much more than mine, but so is your iron.

https://www.watchwater.de/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Arsenic_Removal.pdf is aimed at water treatment plants.
https://www.watchwater.com/pdf/katalox-light/KL_Brochure_NEW_ver_1.1.pdf is more general.

Katalox Light (KL) may need some oxidizer injected before the tank for best operation. I am not a pro.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Whole house RO is a great idea for some applications, but you will need to treat the iron and manganese first or fouling of the membrane is likely. There are several ways you could tackle this water, what is your well design? Traditional submersible pump, pressure tank with a 60/40 switch? A simple ozone injection system of H2o2 for conversion of arsenic, simple AIO3 design to reduce the iron, manganese and co-precipitate some of the arsenic, followed by a cation/anion system for hardness and further arsenic reduction.

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Whole house RO is a great idea for some applications, but you will need to treat the iron and manganese first or fouling of the membrane is likely. There are several ways you could tackle this water, what is your well design? Traditional submersible pump, pressure tank with a 60/40 switch? A simple ozone injection system of H2o2 for conversion of arsenic, simple AIO3 design to reduce the iron, manganese and co-precipitate some of the arsenic, followed by a cation/anion system for hardness and further arsenic reduction.
Well design is pretty basic. Not even a submersible pump, just a vertical shallow well jet pump connected to a brand new 60/40 switch. That leads to a 32 gallon (If I recall correctly) pressure tank. Then the old AIO system and lastly the 7 month old softener.

I have the skillset to do the install work. Just need some guidance on what to use.

Edit:
I am learn about this as well. So far I have come across Katalox Light and Nano Titanium Oxide. The Titanium Oxide says it is highly efficient at removing arsenic 3 & 5. Where as KL just says arsenic. Well it looks like the NTO can't deal with the high levels of iron.

Last edited:

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Ok, for dealing with the iron I've come up with 2 systems. Seems like iron needs to be dealt with first.
1) Ozone Backwashing filter with Katalox Light
2) H2O2 injection with Catalytic Carbon

Of course each website list theirs at "industry leading technology" or some other catch phrase without really saying why. The H2O2 system seems to be about $300ish more expensive and having to buy the H2O2 for years and years to come.

I guess the H2O2 system wont do anything with arsenic where as the KL will deal with some, right?

On the flip side of that coin, would the H2O2 injection help convert arsenic 3 into arsenic 5? At that point the under sink RO would take care of all of our drinking / cooking water needs.

Last edited:

Chucky5150

Reaction score
Well after lots of research and talking with some other people I am pretty sure I am going with an H2O2 iron filter system.

I didn't like that the iron levels were near the max of the Katalox Light system. Also found out the H2O2 will convert the arsenic 3 to arsenic 5. That will be filtered out in the RO system under the kitchen sink.

Question now is, where do I buy it from?
Half the search results on the Google are discount superstore this or that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks