IPC 2012 Cleanout location questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dgeist

Reaction score
To anyone intimately familiar with 2012 IPC cleanout requirements, I'm trying to answer the following:

708.3.1 (horizontal drains) - How long does a drain have to flow in the horizontal to be considered as such? 1 inch? 1 foot? 3 feet? I have two vertical sections of my 4" drain stack separated by about 30" horizontally. Those sections are connected with a 45 and a wye on its side at the bottom of the top section and a 90 sweep at the top of the other. There is only enough horizontal run for the street fittings. Is 24" between the inlet of the wye and the elbow considered a "horizontal drain"?

708.3.3 (changes in direction) - More than 45 in one change or more than one change in 40' requires a clean out...but if you have two 45s back to back, does that count? This relates to the above example where I have a bathroom group (with snake-able toilet), on the second floor, or about 10' of vertical drop, then the connections described above.

All of this is for work to replace the CI sections described with PVC and bring them up a bit tighter to the ceiling to give space for a new bathroom. I would very much like to not have a 4" wye on its side providing a clean out where the section makes a bend since it'll be over my tub/shower, but will plan accordingly if I HAVE to have it. In the attached image, it's the section on the BACK side. (the front section serves the WC and lav in a room just above the floor).

2017-07-19 11.27.05.jpg

Dan

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks