Introduction, I'm actually a Nurse with a little plumbing experience of my own ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrea Love Forum MGR

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Figured Id give a formal Introduction and greeting to all of you here! I'm Andrea- Terry Loves Daughter in law. You probably see me hopping around on Terrys Acct and mine doing Admin business with his son Taylor.
Just Recently last May 2022 my Father in law Terry Love the forum founder and expert, began a battle of fighting cancer after nearly 12 years in remission. Unfortunately after eight months of the most incredible fight Terry left us earth side where he could enjoy life again. He passed away January 20th 2023.

I had the honor of caring for Terry. Several years ago I offered my support to his family when his mother whom was 102 was in her final weeks of life. So when Terry fell ill, without hesitation I wanted to be there and be an advocate for him and his children during this most difficult and often very complicated process. I'm a mom of four amazing children and married to Jamie Love, Terrys plumbing son and sidekick. I also was a nurse, which is my passion. Caring for people makes my heart feel good. Terry often told me about the heath and wellness zone here on the forum, told me "hey you should go post about what you do".

For some decade and change worked in mother baby units, pediatric intensive care units, and NICU. During those years I dove into the world of Lactation, aka my version of plumbing. I deal with clogged pipes to friends. For over 5 years now I have volunteered my time and knowledge to another Forum and Social Media support group for women and infants and Breastfeeding. Like Terry, I wanted to help people- to be able to teach, provide, and care for those that maybe didn't have the ability or resources to seek out. Or maybe its just something you need a little guidance or encouragement. Reason I also value the educational and informational platforms so much.

I find this to be our greatest thing shared- really caring and helping all to the best of our ability!

I have enjoyed spending time here and thank you all for the kindness showed to the Love family.

please say hi- inbox is always open :)

or hey pick my Nurse brain- I love a good challenge!
10426714_10202107039177556_5387672700763213294_n - Copy.jpg
andrea jamie family.jpg

Throwback of me and Terry at a Show, And my whole world, my Crew!

Andrea Love Forum MGR

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What the best way to prevent thrush from taking hold. Best preventative measures?

Thrush can be tough-
Prevention can differ between the infant and mother dyad. Breastfeeding? Pumping? or Formula fed?

But over all- First things to consider and question
Any recent antibiotic usage?
Probiotics?
Latching concerns? ( This is huge for the breastfeeding infant)
Proper cleaning of any feeding/pumping accessories.
Treating both mother and baby when applicable.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
She is breastfeeding and pumping.

Last time they got thrush. She followed some idea that her pumping equipment could be refrigerated and cleaned less often. We think this is what caused the thrush. This time she is cleaning everything religiously.

One nurse said to apply tinactin in between feedings.

Andrea Love Forum MGR

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Refrigeration is fine but with in reason. Still lots of variables. Id be happy to help further, andrearobyn@hotmail.com
She is breastfeeding and pumping.

Last time they got thrush. She followed some idea that her pumping equipment could be refrigerated and cleaned less often. We think this is what caused the thrush. This time she is cleaning everything religiously.

One nurse said to apply tinactin in between feedings.
I went ahead and responded via message- check conversations :)

William S.

Reaction score
Andrea -- My belated condolences to you, Jamie, and the entire Love family. I haven't been checking on the forum in the last 7 months or so, and missed this sad news when you first posted. Terry's personality permeated this forum in many ways beyond the most apparent matter of plumbing. His reminiscences of his youth, of his parents, and the photos have stuck with me, as has his water witching video (which upon first blush was so strange to me that I thought it was a hoax!). I never met him in person, but I will miss his presence.

Nursing is a noble profession. Terry was fortunate to have you in his life as he faced his final battle.

Minni

Reaction score
So sorry about the loss of your FIL...my belated condolences to you...
I myself am in bad health straits and my below hose-drainage questions are due to that. See, I had trigger finger surgery (see attached pics). In fact the finger insists on remaining bent despite having done lots of therapy by now. Also, as of today, the incision remains severely sensitive. My arthritic fingers make it tough to keep lugging my 50-pint dehumidifier bucket all the way to back corner of basement to empty out. There's no drain nearby the dehumidifier (where I need it to be). And the Friedrich built-in pumps break very quickly. My most recent warranty-replacement arrived last week AND came with the pump Dead-On-Arrival.

Given my abnormal basement-layout (too hard to describe), i think my best solution is to attach a long garden hose to the Friedrich and extend it some 30-feet along the width of the house to drain onto concrete slab that's near driveway.

BUT - that requires first drilling a hole thru the thick-concrete exterior-wall with a hammer-drill to enable the hose to get thru.
The hose would have to be cut off prior to insertion into hole.
The hose probably needs to be "hugged" with caulking, to avoid insects.
Also, I would want to be able to pull the hose back inside after each summer.
And so - I think I'd need an Access-Panel.

Questions:

(1) Can this access-panel:
https://www.accessdoorsandpanels.com/8-x-8-drywall-inlay-access-panel-for-masonry-applications/
be somehow fastened to interior-side of exterior-wall to secure against insects - after using hammer-drill & caulking to enable my garden hose to exit through the concrete exterior wall so as to drain my dehumidifier onto outdoor-slab?
Note: I believe the interior-side is sheet-rocked, because i easily pushed a thumbtack into it.

(2) Is there perhaps a 4"x4" screw-on alternative (to screw onto sheet-rocked interior-side) which includes a secure lock and key?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
My arthritic fingers make it tough to keep lugging my 50-pint dehumidifier bucket all the way to back corner of basement to empty out. There's no drain nearby the dehumidifier (where I need it to be). And the Friedrich built-in pumps break very quickly. My most recent warranty-replacement arrived last week AND came with the pump Dead-On-Arrival.

You could also drain the dehumidifier to a separate condensate pump. https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Water-Pumps-Utility-Pumps-Condensate-Pumps/N-5yc1vZbqoh https://www.supplyhouse.com/Condensate-Removal-Pumps-1878000 That may be your best bet initially. Or you could set the dehumidifier on a table, or strong shelf, so that the dehumidifier will be draining downhill to a laundry sink etc. Or if there is no drain for the washing machine or floor drain or anything in the basement, you can pump the water to a drain above.

Last edited:

Minni

Reaction score
You could also drain the dehumidifier to a separate condensate pump. Or you could set the dehumidifier on a table, or strong shelf, so that the dehumidifier will be draining downhill to a laundry sink etc.
I knew about those options. But any pumps (internal or external) are an added layer of issues, whether maintenance, breakdown or whatever. And i already explained about my crazy basement layout, which you'd only understand if you'd see it. So the table and shelf option are out as well. I even called a handyman. Over the phone, he too suggested draining the gravity-hose into laundry sink. But once he saw my layout he realized what i'd been attempting to explain by phone.

Reach4

Reaction score
If it is your intention to drain to the outside above ground, I don't know why you would need an access panel. You would drill the hole, and use caulking to exclude bugs. But if you need an access panel, there are a lot to choose from. https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/control/search/~SEARCH_STRING=axcess panel

If you want to gravity drain a dehumidifier that is on the floor, that is more complex. You would worry about a new hole letting ground water into the basement.

Since during freezing weather, you don't usually run the dehumidifier, you probably don't have to worry about the drain pipe freezing.

Also, Minni, you should have made a new thread for this topic.

Minni

Reaction score
Actually, my question was due to wishing to preserve my hand health. So why not this forum? I might also have tried attaching a rough sketch of basement situation, but my previously-attached pics of my hand seem to have been rejected by the forum-App.
...Also, last time i asked on main terrylove forum about a wall-hole (to drain basement furnace that was noisy) one guy answered re: PVC pipe which i had no idea how to accomplish, as there were no pics, and someone else gave another answer which i also had no picture of. I can't even find that post at this time, which i recall posting last year. BTW, I had also asked on that thread about a hole to extend light fixture thru garage for use as a reachable spot-light, unlike my current spotlight that i can't access to change the bulb. None of those questions were answered.

Now again, my below questions were not answered, even though I tried addressing Andrea in the hope that as a nurse she'd have mercy on my fingers (especially since she also might be knowledgeable re: wall-hole drainage). I can't believe that I should be the only one in the world who needs this type of solution?? It doesn't make sense. Other people also have abnormal home layouts with dampness, do they not?

So here's my questions again.

(1) Can this access-panel:
https://www.accessdoorsandpanels.com/8-x-8-drywall-inlay-access-panel-for-masonry-applications/
be somehow fastened to interior-side of exterior-wall to secure against insects - after using hammer-drill & caulking to enable my garden hose to exit through the concrete exterior wall so as to drain my dehumidifier onto outdoor-slab?

Note: I believe the interior-side is sheet-rocked, because i easily pushed a thumbtack into it.

(2) Is there perhaps a 4"x4" screw-on alternative (to screw onto sheet-rocked interior-side) which includes a secure lock and key?

P.S. As for a "new thread" I guess it doesn't harm for me to use the main forum to route readers to my post on this thread. So i'll try that.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Figured Id give a formal Introduction and greeting to all of you here! I'm Andrea- Terry Loves Daughter in law. You probably see me hopping around on Terrys Acct and mine doing Admin business with his son Taylor.
Just Recently last May 2022 my Father in law Terry Love the forum founder and expert, began a battle of fighting cancer after nearly 12 years in remission. Unfortunately after eight months of the most incredible fight Terry left us earth side where he could enjoy life again. He passed away January 20th 2023.

I had the honor of caring for Terry. Several years ago I offered my support to his family when his mother whom was 102 was in her final weeks of life. So when Terry fell ill, without hesitation I wanted to be there and be an advocate for him and his children during this most difficult and often very complicated process. I'm a mom of four amazing children and married to Jamie Love, Terrys plumbing son and sidekick. I also was a nurse, which is my passion. Caring for people makes my heart feel good. Terry often told me about the heath and wellness zone here on the forum, told me "hey you should go post about what you do".

For some decade and change worked in mother baby units, pediatric intensive care units, and NICU. During those years I dove into the world of Lactation, aka my version of plumbing. I deal with clogged pipes to friends. For over 5 years now I have volunteered my time and knowledge to another Forum and Social Media support group for women and infants and Breastfeeding. Like Terry, I wanted to help people- to be able to teach, provide, and care for those that maybe didn't have the ability or resources to seek out. Or maybe its just something you need a little guidance or encouragement. Reason I also value the educational and informational platforms so much.

I find this to be our greatest thing shared- really caring and helping all to the best of our ability!

I have enjoyed spending time here and thank you all for the kindness showed to the Love family.

please say hi- inbox is always open :)

or hey pick my Nurse brain- I love a good challenge! View attachment 91084View attachment 91085

Throwback of me and Terry at a Show, And my whole world, my Crew!
Im sure u know more than me with plumbing. My father ,older brother and myself were hvac service people commercial and industrial. When i was a youth before cell phones and only land lines my mother would ask these maintenance people calling some questions and ask them if they reset the unit and other questions.
No doubt that u have a a very good idea what's going on with any problem. With a sharp business man and a mechanic you are a part of him

Andrea Love Forum MGR

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Im sure u know more than me with plumbing. My father ,older brother and myself were hvac service people commercial and industrial. When i was a youth before cell phones and only land lines my mother would ask these maintenance people calling some questions and ask them if they reset the unit and other questions.
No doubt that u have a a very good idea what's going on with any problem. With a sharp business man and a mechanic you are a part of him
Haha thank you! Jamie (Terrys son, my husband) actually works in commercial HVAC :) so I will admit I might know enough to chat about both plumbing and HVAC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks