Introduction and Laundry Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

JasonD

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I'd like to thank you gentlemen (and potentially ladies) for the advice I've already gleaned from the forum. A special thanks also to Terry for creating this resource for the motivated but ignorant.

I'm adding a laundry sink to our ground level on-slab laundry room in an exterior wall. Here is what I started with:

MVIMG_20200729_142908.jpg

The trap is 16.5" off the slab and the standpipe is another 20" above that.

Based on (what I thought) I knew and this section of the NC Plumbing Code:

https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015/chapter/8/indirect-special-waste#802.3.3

802.3.3 Standpipes

Standpipes shall be individually trapped. Access shall be provided to standpipes and drains for rodding. Standpipes shall be 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter and not less than 18 inches (762 mm) or more than 48 inches (1219 mm) in height as measured from the crown weir. The standpipe shall extend 34 inches (864 mm) minimum above the base of the clothes washer unless recommended otherwise by the manufacturer. The connection of a laundry tray waste line may be made into a standpipe for the automatic clothes-washer drain. The standpipe shall extend above the flood level rim of the laundry tray. The outlet of the laundry tray shall be a maximum horizontal distance of 30 inches (762 mm) from the standpipe trap.

Here is what I installed (that piece of paper on the wall is the standard picture posted in most of these threads):

MVIMG_20200805_115438.jpg

As many of you will recognize right off, my pipe arrangement gives me the rare pleasure of smelling the vent stack through the washing machine standpipe.

So here are my questions, am I over thinking this? Does 802.3.3 give me license to skip vent tie in for my sink and just share with the standpipe?

Your advice is most appreciated!

Jason

Reach4

Reaction score
Easy fix. Get rid of the vent and trap that you worked so hard to add.

NC uses IPC.

http://media.iccsafe.org/news/icc-enews/2018v15n13/2018SC-IPC802.pdf describes a possibility for getting your drain line for the new laundry sink. As I read it, the 2018 change was to allow it in apartments, and this was available for houses in earlier versions.
index.php

Last edited:

JasonD

Reaction score
Reach4,

That is excellent! One small follow-up. . . I was counting on the trap on the laundry sink to be able to hit my stub out. When the code says "shall" can I put my trap on under the sink anyway rather than the elbow shown?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was counting on the trap on the laundry sink to be able to hit my stub out. When the code says "shall" can I put my trap on under the sink anyway rather than the elbow shown?
I think the double trap would not meet code.

An alternative is to join the waste after both traps. Standpipe needs to be 18 inches or more, so you would have to raise the box too.

Attachments

• img_3.jpg
    img_3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 226

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no trap for sink just hook it up. put a 22 or 45 on if needed because of no trap to swing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks