Intermitent Sewage Pump Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

bvcat0710

Reaction score
We are having intermintent problems with our sewage pump. It is in the basement and the toilet, shower, and kitchen sink in our basement all drain into it. It is used full time as a residence so it gets the workout. The toilet probably gets used 5-6 times per day - and 2 daily showers, kitchen sink and dishwasher daily..so it gets a lot of "fresh" water on top of toilet...

Problem is - that quite often the pump will not go off and just a small jiggle of the cord and it will empty - this may go on for several times or it may work for several times after that. Sometimes we have to get a stick inside and tap on the pump itself - and that works..

We have cleaned it with a hose as well as we can with the small hole in the top and have replaced the backflow valve - and that did need replacement since it was allowing water back in...

What else can we do?:D

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Zoeller pump

if this is a ZOELLER pump, and their is only
one wire comming out of the pit and plugging into the
wall....

the bi-metal metal
switch is bad in the top of the pump...

I will not repair a Zoeller pump with this kind of
switch.....

we cant break down a pump covered in sewage
and hope that the new seal on the top will not leak..

Usually we change out the pump with a 2 wire
Zoeller pump....

bvcat0710

Reaction score
Reply To Questions

Pump Is 8 Years Old
Has 2 Wires - No longer sure of brand name

Coz

Reaction score
when it does this, plug in the pump directly. 2 wire pumps use a piggyback plug setup. one is the float and one is the pump. if you plug in the pump directly and it works you will know its a problem with the float.

bvcat0710

Reaction score
AHH! So the first plug is the float device and the second plug that piggys back into the first is the pump - correct?

So if I directly plug the 2nd plug in directly that is what you are saying - correct...

And I am assuming that during normal operation - the pump would only "receive" power if the float said it was ok?

thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks