Interior Johnson Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

rmke

Reaction score
Thanks to this forum I have identified what the vent is in the wall behind my sink. Kitchen is not near an exterior wall (townhouse). I would like to tile a backsplash over the exisiting drywall but I'm not sure what to do about the Johnson Tee drain/vent thing. It doesn't have much give, so I can't inspect it too much. Can it be extended to create clearance for the tile? I couldn't seem to twist it at all.

How do others deal with this? If I decide to remove it (not opposed to countertop air gap - have a 4 hole sink) can it typically be removed as a DIY project? Again, couldn't seem to move it at all..

Thanks!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
index.php

They make a fitting with holes for venting that pushes in. It seals with a rubber O-Ring.

rmke

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply. My vent in the wall is metal and doesn't budge... I didn't want to pull too hard, but it sounds like I will probably have to cut through the drywall anyway. I just spent some time trying to get it to move - no dice. I can see that it just comes through a little cut out in the drywall.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was in an apartment building in Kirkland yesterday and their Johnson Tees were copper with soldered on copper caps. It's a 3/4" stubout.
If it's ABS, with a glue on PVC cap, we normally drill a 1/4" hole for venting. It acts as an air break. You can also use an Air-Gap on the counter for that or high loop the drain. Some dishwashers like Bosch don't do well with air-gaps.

ar124593394965618.JPG

The push-in Johnson Tee cover.

index.php

This is exterior, and should have had a 1/4" hole drilled in it.

rmke

Reaction score
Yep, count me in as having a soldered on installation.

Attachments

• 15079373308583883971.jpg
    15079373308583883971.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 670

rmke

Reaction score
I cut away the drywall. At some point someone glued it in. I can see some glue seeping out and no amount of twisting/pulling could get it to budge. Which also means definitely no clearance for new backsplash. Hmm.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I cut away the drywall. At some point someone glued it in. I can see some glue seeping out and no amount of twisting/pulling could get it to budge. Which also means definitely no clearance for new backsplash. Hmm.

It's easy enough to cut and replace the Johnson Tee and raise it higher, or not use it and drain through the disposer.

sink_dw.jpg

This drawing shows an air gap with disposer installation.
Or you can run the line from the dishwasher and loop as high as you can under the counter.

king-county-dw-1.jpg

Last edited:

rmke

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to route through he disposal with a sink top air gap.

And then I just cap off both sides of the current drain and hopefully figure out a way to get the vent off and cap that too? Or?

Thanks!!

MaryBrooks

Reaction score
Have to admit I'm a little bit off with this subject, so I found this to be really informative. Thanks! I've checked online to find out more about this, and I've read that these devices have been around for quite a while - at least the early 1980's. With this method of venting you won't find the washer drain connected to the disposal or drain under the kitchen sink the way it would be with the countertop air gap. It leaves a much cleaner look and doesn't use up the extra hole in the sink. I'm involved these days in the renovation of my kitchen, also, and I've heard about these amazing coloured glass splashbacks from https://www.diysplashbacks.co.uk/custom-splashback and I think I'm gonna go for them, since they look absolutely gorgeous and very catchy.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks