Interesting thoughts on electric tankless heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeQ

Reaction score
The American manufacturer of Seisco has some interesting observations on real world residential water usage, cost comparisons of electric tankless vs. gas tank etc.

While I can see some bias in the comparisons, overall I find it to be a valuable read and his observations closely match my experiences since I've converted one residence to electric tankless a year or so ago.

I especially agree with his questioning of exactly how much peak hot water flow does a family really need to be happy. I know I am happier with the continuous 3 gpm of my electric tankless than I was running out of hot water with my 50 gallon tank heater. Also, extra cold supply water is often cited as prohibiting the option of electric tankless but it is often over-looked that extra cold supply water requires a tank style heater to be sized up as well. The 41 degree (year round) supply water at my 2nd home was a contributing factor as to why I was not happy with my tank heater.

Anyway, for those interested:

http://www.seisco.com/gas-vs-electric.html#

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with Seisco water heaters, their reliability, etc. I only know what I've read on their website.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
If you need more Hot water than a 50 Gallon tank can provide, Then you need to change your water using habits.

You are blessed to have any water at all.

Just my thought...

MikeQ

Reaction score
If you need more Hot water than a 50 Gallon tank can provide, Then you need to change your water using habits.

I agree but it's not just about me. It's not unusual for more than two residents or guests to bathe during the same part of the day and lets not even consider that there are dishes, towels, bedding and clothes that need to be washed . There are such things as families and guests.

Also, 50 gallons of hot water in a tank is no longer hot after 30 gallons of 40 degree water rushes in.

A steady stream of hot water allows more flexibility of when those chores are completed compared to having to wait for the water to get hot enough to complete your tasks (as anyone whose ever had to take a cold shower is painfully aware).

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I agree but it's not just about me. It's not unusual for more than two residents or guests to bathe during the same part of the day and lets not even consider that there are dishes, towels, bedding and clothes that need to be washed . There are such things as families and guests.

Also, 50 gallons of hot water in a tank is no longer hot after 30 gallons of 40 degree water rushes in.

A steady stream of hot water allows more flexibility of when those chores are completed compared to having to wait for the water to get hot enough to complete your tasks (as anyone whose ever had to take a cold shower is painfully aware).

That is why you need to share the shower.

Tell your families and guests that you are saving water.

That worked in the day, at the River.

Who washes your back ? lol

MikeQ

Reaction score
That is why you need to share the shower.

Tell your families and guests that you are saving water.

That worked in the day, at the River.

Who washes your back ? lol

When I share a shower supplied by a traditional tank style water heater it always ends up icy cold before we are finished. ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks