interesting GFCI issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

michigan joe

Reaction score
i have a small half bath. there is one light and one switch in the room. no outlets.

i wanted to replace the switch with a switch/receptacle GFCI combo but when i pulled the old toggle switch out, there was only one cable coming into the box -black, white and ground...

what's up?

thanks so much!
joe

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
light

It is not hot/neutral/ground, it is hot/white switched lead/ground and you cannot put a receptacle there unless you can run a neutral wire to the outlet.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In this case:

ground is ground. So we'll just think about the white and black.

The feed probably runs directly to the box the light fixture is attached to. From there, one 3-wire cable was pulled to the switch and the black was used as power from the feed to the switch and white was used as power from the switch to the light.

Pretend they are both black and it makes more sense.

TheElectricalGuru

National Electrical Code Expert/Speaker/Educator
Reaction score
Website
www.TheElectricalGuru.com
Also.....you need to add.....DO NOT have the temptation to use the BARE equipment grounding conductor for ANYTHING other than it's intended purpose....bonding to facilitate the operation of the Overcurrent Protection Devices.............So with that said you will need to install a new 12-2 w/Ground NM Cable to a new box where you intend to install the GFCI receptacle.......

lol...Unless of course you are in Chicago where I would suggest a 12-2 MC Cable w/ insulated ground....lol

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The hot and neutral will be in the light jbox.

It is usually pretty easy to drop down the wall from there and add the GFCI.

The legality of the installation will come into question because the new recep will not be 20 amp dedicated to the bath.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wire

quote;
It is usually pretty easy to drop down the wall from there and add the GFCI.

Really. I usually have a hard time fishing from a ceiling light to the wall switch box, or from a light centered over the medicine cabinet down the wall, and around the corner to the light switch. How do you do it "EASY"l unless there is an attic to work in, which we have few of.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I usually have a hard time fishing from a ceiling light to the wall switch box

And I usually have trouble changing out a rusted closet flange :)

He is talking about a recep so the location isn't as much of an issue as a switch.

99% of older houses here have a light over the vanity.

If it has a recessed medicine cabinet, even easier. Pull out the cabinet and you have easy access to the adjacent stud bays and j box.

Many times the wall is deep to accomodate the plumbing. Sometimes it is framed with staggered 2x4's which makes it even easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

michigan joe

Reaction score
perfect. thanks.

hahaha. thanks. the "pretend they're both black" helped.

i will be practicing my "wire fishing" tomorrow!

michigan joe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks