Interesting CSV and Pressure tank question

Users who are viewing this thread

s10010001

Reaction score
hey y'all, I have been doing some home prepping for power outage scenarios. I have a 7500k propane generator that will run my Jet pump without issues and feed from my water storage tanks in an outage.

My issues with with the CSV and small pressure tank I would need the generator running basically any time I want water inside.

My thinking is, since I have a spare large pressure tank (50gal), could I Tee that in somewhere (like by my softener in the garage), with a ball valve on it. I basically wont use it at all unless the power is off for long runs again.

In a power outage I could open the valve to the large tank then turn on the generator for the jet pump, take showers, dishes, do whatever and it will top of the larger pressure tank. I could then have the generator off and we could have water pressure off the large tank for longer periods of time before needing to use the generator again. Washing hand, bathrooms, ect...

thoughts?

Thanks for the read if you made it this far :)

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a 7500k propane generator that will run my Jet pump without issues and feed from my water storage tanks in an outage.
Does your regular water come from the storage tanks, or directly from the well?

A 1/2 HP submersible pump in a storage tank will pump about as well as a 1 HP jet pump, and be easier on your generator. I understand this was not your question. Submersible would be horizontal in a flow inducer sleeve.

I would consider sanitizing stuff before closing that isolation valve to not have any growth in the waiting empty pressure tank. I am not a pro.

s10010001

Reaction score
Does your regular water come from the storage tanks, or directly from the well?
Water always comes from my storage tanks. The underground well pump keeps them full. I could (via breakers) actually alternate my generator power to the underground pump should I need to top of the tanks as well, but now were talking the power out for a long time to deplete my tanks.

A 1/2 HP submersible pump in a storage tank will pump about as well as a 1 HP jet pump, and be easier on your generator. I understand this was not your question. Submersible would be horizontal in a flow inducer sleeve.
Yea I kinda thought about a lighter pump, but that would involve more plumbing, I think Id rather just use a bigger generator and utilize the same pump. As mentioned above that also give me the flexibility to run both pumps as needed. Heck, I can run them both at the same time as long as their not both starting at the same time.

I would consider sanitizing stuff before closing that isolation valve to not have any growth in the waiting empty pressure tank. I am not a pro.
yea good thinking, I would keep it empty and sanitized thinking about this.

IDK, this kinda does seem like a "Pro" to the "big blue tank" vs CSV I didn't think about before. When the power went out my uncle with a 80gal pressure tank had water for some times before he lost it. Thats what got me thinking about this.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a Cycle Stop Valve with any size tank you want. Just set the CSV at 58 PSI when using a 40/60 switch, and it only takes an extra minute to fill a big tank using the CSV. Using a larger pressure tank for storage doesn't work on grid power, because the pressure could be at 41 when the power goes off and the tank would be empty. But when cranking up a generator you can always make sure the tank is full before killing the genset. A 50 gallon pressure tank normally only holds about 12 gallons of water. But with a 20 PSI air charge instead of 38 PSI air, it will hold about 20 gallons of water instead of just 12. The 20 PSI a air charge won't give you much pressure, but would still flush a toilet.

If the generator is running anyway to let the well pump fill the storage tank, you would not need a larger pressure tank as the CSV could just feed you whatever you need directly from the booster pump.

s10010001

Reaction score
You can use a Cycle Stop Valve with any size tank you want. Just set the CSV at 58 PSI when using a 40/60 switch, and it only takes an extra minute to fill a big tank using the CSV. Using a larger pressure tank for storage doesn't work on grid power, because the pressure could be at 41 when the power goes off and the tank would be empty. But when cranking up a generator you can always make sure the tank is full before killing the genset. A 50 gallon pressure tank normally only holds about 12 gallons of water. But with a 20 PSI air charge instead of 38 PSI air, it will hold about 20 gallons of water instead of just 12. The 20 PSI a air charge won't give you much pressure, but would still flush a toilet.

If the generator is running anyway to let the well pump fill the storage tank, you would not need a larger pressure tank as the CSV could just feed you whatever you need directly from the booster pump.

yes exactly! My thinking is I could run the generator for a while in the evening for showers, washer, high usage stuff letting the CVS do its thing. Then make sure the big PT is full and kill the generator. That will let us use the toilets, brush teeth and small stuff throughout the night. then maybe running it a little in the morning as needed. Seems like a solid setup. Since I do have a good (1 year old) pressure tank that's basically new anyways.

I actually have a post filter 3/4 hose hoot up in the garage, I could just screw it onto that if needed too.

Im open to to other ideas to get water to my house during an outage. but unless I run a generator a lot (lots of fuel wasted) im kinda out of ideas.

honestly, I kinda wish I kept my 5th wheel I recently sold. Even if we didn't want to camp anymore. That thing was fully self sustained off a single quiet 30a generator. AC, Heat, Water, Bathrooms, Stoves, TV... nice preper. setup. Although im not sure how it would have help up in Snowmegedon Texas edition earlier this year. It likely would have froze solid.

s10010001

Reaction score
My Aunt and uncle love their new CSV btw. She is blow away to have that consistent pressure once again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks