Intense DIY Remodel - With Clothes Washer in Master Bath

Users who are viewing this thread

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
Good afternoon! This is my first post and I have really appreciated the responses to others.

That said, I am doing a remodel myself. The initial intent was I would manage the project and hire the pros. But the area I live in the pros are way overpriced. I mean $20k for plumbing a bathroom, no electrical or finishes. So I got into doing it myself. Passed the rough electrical and got into the plumbing.

I have now plumbed a dual vanity, shower, toilet, tub, and washing machine. Had an inspector come out and say that the washing machine cannot be upstream of the bath. Which makes sense. He also said an AAV can't be used with the washer but I wasn't gonna start debating that while he was being very helpful.

Any suggestions for reworking the drains? Should I try to add a new drain and vent for the tub and tie it into the 3"?

Also, I am now aware the vent for vanities is too low and will be raising it accordingly. Probably just run it through to the roof.

Attachments

• 20190524_152503.jpg
    20190524_152503.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 20190524_152514_HDR.jpg
    20190524_152514_HDR.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 218
  • 20190524_152552_Burst01.jpg
    20190524_152552_Burst01.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 20190524_152617.jpg
    20190524_152617.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 20190524_152645.jpg
    20190524_152645.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 20190524_152709.jpg
    20190524_152709.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 216

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The fixture vents should come off the trap arms using a wye and a 45 or a combo. A sanitary tee is never intended for use laying on it's back.

The double sinks shoud tied together with a double fixture fitting, not a double sanitary tee or cross.

If you run a new tub drain in 2", the vent can be up to 8' from the trap assuming it is properly pitched at 1/4" per foot.

If you can get one vent through the roof, all of the fixture vents run horizontally in the walls or overhead at least 42" above the floor and tied into the same stack going through the roof.

Pay attention to your sink drain heights. If they are too high, it is no fun to fix the problem after the finish work is done.

If you want it to look right when you are done, the water supply stubouts should be positioned above the sink drains, with the hot on the left side and cold on the right. Maintain 6-8" from center to center on the lines and stubouts.

That is some interesting construction, I am used to seeing walls framed with studs at 16" oc.

Attachments

• 0915-jlc-cev-illo2png.jpg
    0915-jlc-cev-illo2png.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 218

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
1. Which one is this referring to? I thought I had addressed this.

2. Will do.

3. Good to know. The vanity wall and washing machine walls are too far. So either I put a new vent into the shower wall, the wall behind the shower, or upsize the piping below the vanities to tie in as a wet vent. I really don't know which way would be easier / better. Help please?

4. I replaced the drywall on the ceiling and completely re-wired the room (already passed electrical, Woot!). So getting into the roof is not a problem.

5. They look high right now but we will be adding another layer of subfloor, a ditra heat layer, and tiles. Also, the wife would like vanity sinks.

6. The stub outs are both to the same side so that the p-trap MAY be positioned sideways if the final sink and cabinet design allow. This would allow more storage under the sink, like baskets sitting on a floating drawer. And there is going to be a makeup vanity in the middle that would allow easy access from the center.

7. 24in oc is sooooo annoying. TV mounts are more expensive.

Thank you for your timely response. What are your thoughts about fixing the tub rough-in?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
1. In your photos, the vent for the water closet is coming off a sanitary tee on it's back. Some places let this slide, but it is not the proper fitting.

Build a place into the shower wall for the vent. Unless you are going with all glass, it is the easiest way to do it.

I would re-vent and route the right lavatory drain down into the joist space to wet vent the tub.

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
1. I see now. That was original, I was looking at all of my pieces scratching my head.

If the tub is wet vented into the vanity system then would it need to be upsized to meet the right DFU?

Or are you recommending splitting the vanities to two separate vents so that the wet vent would be within the 4DFU limit?

If that is the case could the drain tie into the same pipe as the shower and other vanity?

I really appreciate your help with this.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am guessing that the tub drain is doing in the same spot where you had it tied into the laundry.

I would continue the vent in the wall over to the right lav. From there, 2" drain over where you can tie in the tub drain. This is the wet vent for the tub. If you want to tie in the othe lav downstream of the tub connection that is fine.

Normally if you were doing double lavs with a vent in the middle like you have now, the trap arms going to the proper double fixture fitting are 1-1/2", with the drain out being 2". The trap arm is then limited to 6 feet between the trap and vent.

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
My original issue is that the tub drain cannot be "downstream" of the laundry machine. Which I am not sure I have a way of making it upstream.

The sinks both wet drain (wet vent) to the shower at the moment. So if another vent was added for the right sink would that increase the DFU for the tub to be drained along with the shower and second sink?

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
Here are diagrams of the current situation. I understand the double fixture wye needs to be installed. If they stay tied together I'll replace the sanitary t.
I need to figure out how to situate the tub into this scenario so it is not downstream of the washer. Even if a new vent is added just for the tub I don't know where to tie in the drain.

Attachments

• Laundry Side Plumbing Diagram (Current Connections).png
    Laundry Side Plumbing Diagram (Current Connections).png
    8.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Vanity Side Plumbing Diagram.png
    Vanity Side Plumbing Diagram.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 208

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
We cannot see your building drain, where any of your drains eventually go. The washer drain needs to be routed to the building drain, anywhere downstream of the bath group fixtures.

I think you are getting confused on the DFU's. A bath can be layed out so that the toilet, tub, and shower all wet vent through one lavatory vent. Given what you have already layed out, it appears to me that you would be able to run 2 separate lav drains, using one to vent the shower as you have it, and the other to vent the tub. The right lav drain can loop around to pick up the tub, and both lav drains can be tied together downstream of where the shower is connected. You might have to move things a bit to make it fit.

Granted, all I can see is the photos you have posted. What I dont see might be an issue.

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
Sounds like a way forward. Just to check for my understanding does this make sense?

I split the lav so there are now three vents on that wall. One to each lav and one to the toilet.

The left lav vent serves as the wet vent for the shower.
The right lav vent serves as the wet vent for the tub.

The drains all connect with 2" pvc back to the 3" pipe under the wall.
Right Lav -> tub -> left lav -> shower -> 2" drain for about a foot to the 3" drain connected to the house.

The washer at this point has its own drain and vent not connected to the bath group.

Attachments

• Revised Plumbing Diagram.png
    Revised Plumbing Diagram.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 226

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are getting closer. Route the right lav drain to pick up the tub and then continue back to the main line or at least until it is downstream of the shower connection before cutting back in.

Last edited:

Joseph Lorelli

Reaction score
Guess who is back!

The Tub is over 8' from the dual lav so I believe that means wet vent from the right side is off limits.

Considering that I took another approach and would really like your feedback. One thing I recalled the inspector brought up was that the tub couldn't be downstream of the washer. So I am thinking I could use the pipes the way it was originally set up (lav wet vent to the tub). Then I would tie the washer in "downstream" of the tub.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I know this is a complicated project and am really enjoying learning about all of the trades involved.
HAUJLUkLkzUCTuHOZND2DcSLEu5XJbbUZ6-0eJYlloISg_MhuVKRdYG23oYM_IBnWlVte4MYY2k-G2P95Rr45M7tlGT5W0-H46hDWsOGdOxl7_gxImw=w673

Attachments

• Revised Plumbing Diagram V3.png
    Revised Plumbing Diagram V3.png
    111.4 KB · Views: 178

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Guess who is back!

The Tub is over 8' from the dual lav so I believe that means wet vent from the right side is off limits.

Considering that I took another approach and would really like your feedback. One thing I recalled the inspector brought up was that the tub couldn't be downstream of the washer. So I am thinking I could use the pipes the way it was originally set up (lav wet vent to the tub). Then I would tie the washer in "downstream" of the tub.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I know this is a complicated project and am really enjoying learning about all of the trades involved.
HAUJLUkLkzUCTuHOZND2DcSLEu5XJbbUZ6-0eJYlloISg_MhuVKRdYG23oYM_IBnWlVte4MYY2k-G2P95Rr45M7tlGT5W0-H46hDWsOGdOxl7_gxImw=w673

You are interpreting the code incorrectly. The limitation of distance between a trap and vent is for the dry vent section.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks