Intelligent monitoring for pump conditions: what is available?

Users who are viewing this thread

abensky

Reaction score
My well does not produce a lot and the dumb pump-saver provides little information, but does stop the pump when the well runs dry. I want a system that will tell me over time (last 24 hours, week, or month), how often the pump goes on and off, why it goes off, how long it runs for, and how long it stops to let the well recover between cycles. Ideally I'd like a system that tracks all this info over time and provides the raw data to an app to show the data in different scales (by day, hour) and can provide some analysis.

I have heard of Cycle Sensor, Dole Valve, and Cycle Stop Valve, but it's not clear what combination of these would be appropriate or what information they provide, especially over time. Pump-Tec plus shows last fault, but does not provide any historical data or run-time before fault.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The Cycle Sensor will shut the pump off when the well runs dry or cycles to quickly. It will display DRY when the well runs dry, then the restart delay can be set to turn the pump on from 1 to 300 minutes. It will show you RCYC for rapid cycle if the pump cycles to quickly. The rapid cycle fault cannot be set to automatically restart the pump. The reason for the rapid cycle needs to be solved before the pump is restarted.

The Cycle Sensor will not show you how long the pump is on, which doesn't matter because it will let it stay on until the well is dry.

As long as the pump continues to run when there is water in the well, shuts off when the well is dry, and restarts after a set amount of time, you should not need to record the events.

You would need some kind of SCADA system to record events. But the Cycle Sensor protects the pump and keeps the cistern full, which is really all you need.

Terry Stigall

Reaction score
My well does not produce a lot and the dumb pump-saver provides little information, but does stop the pump when the well runs dry. I want a system that will tell me over time (last 24 hours, week, or month), how often the pump goes on and off, why it goes off, how long it runs for, and how long it stops to let the well recover between cycles. Ideally I'd like a system that tracks all this info over time and provides the raw data to an app to show the data in different scales (by day, hour) and can provide some analysis.

I have heard of Cycle Sensor, Dole Valve, and Cycle Stop Valve, but it's not clear what combination of these would be appropriate or what information they provide, especially over time. Pump-Tec plus shows last fault, but does not provide any historical data or run-time before fault.
The PumpSaver+ Model 233P if you purchase the IR reader will give you copious reports of activity.

Rocklin662

Reaction score
How computer savvy are you? Your post gave me an idea. I have a couple current sensors I was thinking of putting in my main electric panel at home, but there is not a lot of room in my panel to get these over the main inputs.

I could put these on either the well power feed wires or on the cables that go from the control box to the pump, then feed that data to my home automation.

I use Home Assistant for automation, and would probably use a Wemos D1 to send the data from the current sensor to Home Assistant.

1pcs Non-invasive Split Core Current Transformer AC current sensor 100A SCT-013-000
http://s.aliexpress.com/uYFfYf2e

Rocklin662

Reaction score
I ended up going with a couple emonTX's and a emonPi from here. I will alert on a few thresholds from this data. Pump running over a certain amount of time and also maybe greater than x number of cycles between 20:00 and 04:00 but will have to account for the water softener recharge water usage.

Current clamp on one leg of the 220 going to well pump. Sprinklers and some household usage. Look like I can double up some of the drip zones to reduce pump cycles.
upload_2021-4-16_9-14-43.png

No cycles overnight is nice to see. Pump ran quite a bit while flushing some of the larger sprinkler lines around 17:30.

upload_2021-4-16_9-24-56.png

Broken sprinkler main line just after 13:00 caused some excessive run time.

upload_2021-4-16_9-36-40.png

Utility voltage measured near the main panel.
upload_2021-4-16_9-23-7.png

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Aa old thread but since you dredged it up already...

I have an old security camera watching the pressure switch for motion on the contacts. My security software give me a 24 hour summary. In the following, there were 24 motion events which translate to 12 pump cycles in the last 24 hours. Most of the blue dots represent two events, a start and a stop event. I can replay the video and see what the pressure was and how long the cycle was.

chrome_2021-04-16_17-29-20.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I do the same thing with my sump pump but the number of events is complete pump cycles, so 13 cycles in the last 24 hours.

chrome_2021-04-16_18-05-17.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I watch my pressure gauges and temp sensors with a camera as well. Works well but mine is not as fancy as LLigetfa's and is not working on motion sense. Recently I have been testing the Drop pump controller. I don't really like the way it graphs the cycles and amps, but it is pretty cool and working good so far. Allows me to see everything and make adjustments, even turn the pump off from my phone.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I watch my pressure gauges and temp sensors with a camera as well. Works well but mine is not as fancy as LLigetfa's and is not working on motion sense.
I wish your EPS15/99 switch would visually indicate when the pump is energized, such as flashing the decimal point. As it is, I need to take the 240V out to my own circuitry to provide to the camera system. Presently I monitor only on and off hence why I get two events for each pump cycle. Initially I tried motion sensing on the entire digital display but it would often teeter between values even when there was no water use and the pump was not running.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks