insulating a bsement ceiling

Users who are viewing this thread

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
Here's my situation:

New house with an unfinished basement of which I have completed all of the framing and wiring. I plan on dropping the ceiling and installing recessed lighting.

Questions:
What are the pro's/con's of insulating the basement ceiling between the joists with regular fiberglass insulation?...rigid insulation?

If using fiberglass, should I use faced or unfaced? Does it matter? Should the paper be facing the basement or the ceiling above?

Any ideas/comments/concerns would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx, all!

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
If it is going to be finished, heated space then why insulate it at all?

The walls and rim board will need to be insulated if it is finished space.

If you are looking at using insulation as a sound barrier then just make sure you get IC rated cans and install them IAW the IC requirements.

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
Walls and rim board are insulated.

Yes, I am looking to use the insulation as a sound barrier.

Yes, I am using IC rated cans....

If it is going to be finished, heated space then why insulate it at all?

The walls and rim board will need to be insulated if it is finished space.

If you are looking at using insulation as a sound barrier then just make sure you get IC rated cans and install them IAW the IC requirements.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The best sound insulator is probably spray in foam, but boy making any changes later on would be a major pain! It is surprising how much sound can get through a little gap.

If only for sound, I'd forgo the extra insulation and use a double layer of drywall with the first layer attached to sound isolation clips, and maybe the second layer attached using the sound absorbing mastic. Just two layers, attached conventioally would probably do a better job than adding insulation. Or, you can buy (expensive) special panels for sound isolation for the ceiling.

Now, if the basement won't be finished soon, and won't be conditioned, insulation is a good idea at this time.

thebrownsfan

Reaction score
The best sound insulator is probably spray in foam, but boy making any changes later on would be a major pain! It is surprising how much sound can get through a little gap.

If only for sound, I'd forgo the extra insulation and use a double layer of drywall with the first layer attached to sound isolation clips, and maybe the second layer attached using the sound absorbing mastic. Just two layers, attached conventioally would probably do a better job than adding insulation. Or, you can buy (expensive) special panels for sound isolation for the ceiling.

Now, if the basement won't be finished soon, and won't be conditioned, insulation is a good idea at this time.
Spray foam is out due to the change issue. Also, I am dropping the ceiling, not installing drywall...

Thanx

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, put some fiberglass up if you want some sound isolation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks