Insulate undersized supply pipes to quiet them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
I'm remodeling and ripped out all my 1" plaster and am replacing with 1/2" gypsum board. Because of this, I'm realizing how loud my supply pipes are. In particular, when a toilet or tub fills. It's a 60 y.o. house and the pipe's are 1/2" throughout, so undersized. The the pressure and supply are both fine, it's just the noise that's the problem. I don't have it in me to rip them out and am wondering if wrapping them with insulation would help. If so, is there a particular size or type? Any other advise would be much appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
You might get better results by way of installing a pressure reducing valve, since lower pressure equals lower flows and quieter plumbing.

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
The noise will be transmitted through the entire system, so insulation will probably not have a significant effect on quieting them.

Thanks HJ. Due to my ongoing reno, I have access to 90% of the system (it's mostly in my exposed basement ceiling and one open wet wall). Do you think I'd still see negligible results?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Note that a PRV usually needs a thermal expansion tank installed also. Neither of these are extremely expensive nor are they difficult to install.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Prv

Lower pressure equals lower flows, which is the same as lower volume, so your shower output may be adversely affected. The real problem is that your entire system is undersized, and you are trying to fix it by "putting band aids on a broken leg".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks