Insul-Deck Concrete Forming Systems - Tying them in with a barrier free shower

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Anyone ever work with this product? Insul-Deck Concrete Forming Systems.

Bahamas-Phase-2-066-640X330.jpg

Photo: Imagine Source

I have a new client sign up from the Virgin Islands (Picture above is in the Bahamas) and wants some help planning an ACO linear drain installation (Barrier Free) with these Insul-Deck Concrete Forming Systems. I hope he sends me down for a site visit! lol - In my dreams.

Typically for a recessed linear drain installation I ask for the guys to leave behind 1.5"-3.5" of negative space. This area should be the size of the wet area plus a good 6"-12". Ideally the entire bathroom is recessed if the customer has no clue what the final design is.

These forms look like they are fairly straight forward - this is what I find alarming.

Joint-640X287.png

Photo: Image Source

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Building a Hobless Shower (no dam, no curb etc) with concrete forms.

Some basic pointers for this type of design are covered here. The link below talks about negative framing or forming for a hobless shower build. I love the Australian Waterpoofing code and it influences much of what I do here in Canada. I think the Aussies are ahead of use here in North America.

Building a Barrier Free Bathroom - Slab on Grade

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Insul-Deck Forms

I spoke with a fellow named Peter at Insul-Deck Forms and had a great overview of their Concrete forming panels. Very slick and the panels come in various sizes. From the largest to the smallest a 5.5" height difference so many options are possible.

I got to view the concrete pour via photos and the location of this home is incredible - the views like a postcard photo.

I worked on Grand Cayman Island for a number of years and watched a few million dollar homes get build. These systems must offer up so much heat shielding from those crazy warm days in the Virgin Islands.

Some of these forming panels can be order larger than needed in size so your structural engineer can shave some size away. These structural changes all specified by the homes own structural engineer. Same here in Vancouver - these engineers call the shots.

ID_Pump_Concrete-640X478-e1378767326611.jpg

Photo: Image Source

I especially like the panels design where it creates long concrete joists for supporting the slab. Slick.

JW

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks