Insufficient heat transfer fluid flow to swimming pool heat exchanger

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy Pool

Reaction score
Here is the problem: During construction, the plumber on the job ran a 3/4" PEX line for a 70' run (140' round trip) from the basement of the house to the garage to feed a titanium heat exchanger rated at 210,000 BTUs. The heat exchanger was tested and works at less than 50% heat output. The carpenters have closed the walls, foam was shot in, we can not run another line.

Here is what I want to do: The garage has a radiant heat PEX loop in the floor, also on a 3/4" line from the same boiler as the heat exchanger. Floor heat is not needed during the swimming season in the North-East region. I want to find the two ends of the radiant heat loop inside the garage, and place three-way motorized zone valves on the supply and on the return lines. Then I want to take the new legs of these lines and tee them into the existing heat exchanger lines so that we can come out with 1 1/4" lines from the tees to the heat exchanger. When the pool controller calls for heat the valves will switch to send fluid to the exchanger, with both circulator pumps kicking in. When the pool is off, the valves will switch to send fluid to the floor loop.

The boiler is an Ultra 299 / 234,000 BTU
The heat exchanger is a Brazetek BT-STX-210-B
The circulator pump is a 20 gpm model

Do you see any problems with this idea?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks