Installing water filter, need to use the air gap.

Users who are viewing this thread

melarue

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm installing a water filter under the kitchen sink and the only hole in the sink I can use for the water fountain is the air gap for the dishwasher. Is there a proper way to bypass the air gap?

thx
Madison

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
NO THERE IS NOT THE AIR GAP IS REQUIRED BY THE PLUMBING CODE TO PROTECT YOU AND FAMILY FROM DIRTY BACK-FLOW IF KITCHEN SINK GETS CLOGGED UP,

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Maybe not what you were hoping for, but they make combined units.

Attachments

• airgap.jpg
    airgap.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 636

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
What type of sink? It's pretty easy to make a new hole in the ledge of a stainless steel sink with a wrench-driven hole-cutting punch (assuming there's sufficient room on the ledge).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some dishwashers like the Bosch don't use an air gap.
You can use a high loop for the discharge on the dishwasher. Go as high as you can before connecting it.
The air gap works the best.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe not what you were hoping for, but they make combined units.
I thought that going to work for the situation, but the ones I found were for the slower drain from an RO unit rather than a dishwasher.

Melarue could consider a new kitchen faucet that uses one less hole than the current one. Here are some that mount in one hole:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/...etypes=type-hole-one&function=kitchen-faucets
and these are for two holes: http://www.deltafaucet.com/kitchen/...tml?sort=pricehighlow&holetypes=type-hole-two
101LF-HDF-B1.tif

Last edited:

Bluebinky

Reaction score
I thought that going to work for the situation, but the ones I found were for the slower drain from an RO unit rather than a dishwasher. Melarue could consider a new kitchen faucet that uses one less hole than the current one.
It looks like a dual air gap+dispenser is no longer available. I did not notice that the one in the picture has only the dishwasher air gap.

What about running the drain outside to a pit?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks