Installing vanity in out-of-square corner

Users who are viewing this thread

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a plumber install a new bathroom sink, toilet, fixtures, etc, but before he comes, I tried to test-fit the new vanity sink and countertop that I had bought from HD. The vanity is going in a corner, and it's a really tight fit.

Anyhow, the sink fit (barely), but the corner is a bit out-of-square. It's a little more than 90 degrees, so when I fit the sink, it's either flush with the back wall, but with a gap on the side that increases from back to front (it opens to maybe 3/4"), or vice versa.

The walls are already primed, and (since I did the drywalling), I'm guessing that I left too much mud in the corner when taping.

Could anyone suggest any ways I could try to conceal it? It seems like an awful big gap to try and caulk.

Thanks

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am facing the same thing in remodeling our powder room. Some vanity tops are supplied an inch wider than the finished dimension, so that you can scribe a line and use a jigsaw or belt sander to trim off the excess along the wall, thus giving a good fit.

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi Steve -

Thanks for the quick reply.

The vanity/countertop I have has a marble countertop...is it possible to scribe it, or will it just ruin the whole thing?

little buddy

Reaction score
Steve's idea will work. When having a large gap, such as this I have also cut a little of the sheetrock from the top of the backsplash downward. Using both methods will prevent it looking like your back splash has been drastically altered.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Steve's idea will work. When having a large gap, such as this I have also cut a little of the sheetrock from the top of the backsplash downward. Using both methods will prevent it looking like your back splash has been drastically altered.

I cut my door trim when I put mine in. Was much easier than cutting the stone.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com

I doubt that any HD sink has a "marble" countertop. More likely cultured marble, (plastic), that cuts or sands as if it were wood. And if I were the plumber doing the work, you might as well install the cabinet and fasten the countertop, because I am not going to do it.

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks for the replies. And hj, yes, it is a cultured marble top.

I have another question...the underside of the countertop - at the bottom of the bowl where the drain pipe will be attached - has crumbled away a bit. I'd like to build it back up a bit so the gasket, piping, etc has a good solid surface to go against. Is there a certain epoxy or filler I would use on this type of material? I tried contacting the manufacturer, but they make it almost impossible if you don't have the SKU handy.

Thanks again

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi

Anyhow, the sink fit (barely), but the corner is a bit out-of-square. It's a little more than 90 degrees, so when I fit the sink, it's either flush with the back wall, but with a gap on the side that increases from back to front (it opens to maybe 3/4"), or vice versa.

. . . . . . .

Could anyone suggest any ways I could try to conceal it? It seems like an awful big gap to try and caulk. Thanks
It will probably look best if you make it uniformly snug against the back wall and install a separate piece of material as a "side splash" where it goes against the wall.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You might want to consider recessing part of the countertop into the drywall, or use a piece of quarter round (or side splash as Bob just mentioned) to fill in the gap.

RE the underside of the sink: The plumber should use a lot of plumber's putty there, so that should fill in any deformities.

Last edited:

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi folks, thanks for all the feedback

As suggested, I'll make the sink flush with the back wall, and plan on using some moulding to try and cover the side gap.

In regards to the underside of the sink, I didn't know plumber's putty would work....thanks for the info

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the sink is really that damaged, why don't you take it back?

LiamM

Reaction score
Hi Eric -

I may be giving the wrong impression of the problem...the crumbling at the bottom isn't extensive, and I don't think it will require much extra plumber's putty. I was just curious as to whether there was a relatively simple fix to the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks