Installing under sink filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

Grant T

Reaction score
Hello,

First time under the sink for me and I'm attempting to install a waterchef u900 filtration system.

Initial problems for me are that it looks like things haven't been touched under there for a while, so there is a lot of corrosion and hard to turn nuts. Also, there is not a lot of space under there- mainly because of the garbage disposal.

I've decided to remove the kitchen sprayer so that I can use that existing hole for the faucet.

My three questions:

When I remove the nut and sprayer tube, what exactly do I need to put on the end to 'cap' it?

In the directions for the filtration system, it says, "unthread the compression nut located on top of the shut-off valve located on existing water supply line." Then, "Thread the T Valve onto cold water supply line, tighten, then thread the compression nut onto the top of T Valve and tighten.

Is the compression nut the one just above the shut off valve?

And where exactly do I put the T Valve- in that same spot just above the shut-off valve or above that just below the faucet?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• sink.jpg
    sink.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 196
  • sink2.jpg
    sink2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 196

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I can't make out any detail in your pictures.
This is my take on your question - the water supply comes out of the wall and there is a shutoff valve there with a line running to the faucet (actually two shutoffs, one for hot, one for cold). You would shut off the cold water supply then remove the flexible line that goes to the faucet where it connects to the shutoff valve. That is the compression nut referred to. Then install the tee-fitting on the shutoff valve and reconnect the line from the faucet (that you just removed) to that tee fitting. The third connection on the Tee then goes to the water filter unit.

As far as removing the Spray valve hose and capping/blocking it, that may be difficult to do - it depends on the faucet manufacturer as to how the hose is attached (i.e. proprietary fitting/connection or standard threaded connection).

Grant T

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the response and sorry for the pictures- it's really tight under there and wasn't able to get a good shot.

I think I get what you're saying- so, I should remove the compression nut that is literally just above the shut off (like in the picture below)- not the nut all the way up top?

Thanks again!

Attachments

• d2bcdf7d-652e-4ee8-9575-8c986eaca026_400.jpg
    d2bcdf7d-652e-4ee8-9575-8c986eaca026_400.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 174

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That valve you posted actually has two compression fittings...one holds it onto the supply pipe, and the second (in this case, smaller) one is where you'd connect the supply line hose for your faucet (they usually have their own nut on the hose and you throw away the nut and collect inside).

They do make a dual valve setup if you'd like to shut the faucets off independenly, and then you'd not use the T they provided...you'd take the whole shutoff off, and replace it with one with two valves built into it. If the T they supplied fits onto the existing shutoff, you can install it there, and then have two outlets, one for the existing faucet, and the second one for the new filter. If that T needs the collet and a nut, you'd have to buy those to connect it to your existing valve. The only time that nut on the outlet of the valve you showed is used is if you're using tubing, not when using a hose which has the nut and seal on it.

Grant T

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies.

Here are two pictures:

The T valve that came with the filtration system
A better shot of the cold water shutoff valve.

I wasn't sure whether the T Valve was supposed to go right where that brass nut is in pic #2

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 198

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I assume the shinny protrusion to the right (on your photo - or at bottom in my photo) is the compression nut (female thread). I can't make out the nut "flats" in the photo, but that configuration would make sense. What is under the blue "cap"?

Shutoff valve.jpg

Grant T

Reaction score
Country Bumpkin and all,

Yes, that's what I finally figured out.

I've now run into multiple problems:

I undid the compression nut in the above photo and screwed in the T-Valve to the shutoff valve. The problem is that the line running from the faucet is now hanging 1.5" below the T-Valve. I can't bend the line or push down the shut off valve to make the line from teh faucet go into the T fitting on the shut off valvef.

So, I undid the T'-Valve and wanted to get things the way they were.

BUt now I cannot screw the compression nut onto the shut-off valve. I attached a photo- nit's basically stuck on the copper faucet line and just spins around.

I think it's time to get someone in to help.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for getting that nut onto the shut off?

Thanks again

Maybe not going under the sink again....

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 188

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
You should be able to bend the copper line some (think "S" shape) to shorten it a little and connect it to the top of the Tee fitting - but copper is tough to work with and if you don't get it exactly lined up with the fitting, the compression nut won't thread on (as your finding out). You just need gently tweak the bend in the copper so it lines up (straight up and down) with the shutoff valve threads. If you force the nut and cross-thread the threads on the shutoff valve your screwed (no pun intended). You want to be sure that you can thread that nut by hand at least a couple of turns before putting a wrench on it.

It may be getting overly complicated now, but you would probably be better to replace the rigid copper line with a flexible water supply line. But that would mean getting the other end of the copper disconnected from the faucet itself. Which then means you need to remove the faucet from the sink/counter to get enough room to work on those connections. And if you going to remove the faucet, you would want to replace both supply lines - but if your going to remove the faucet (and since you don't wan the Hand Sprayer anymore) you might as well just replace the faucet.

And it snowballs form here. :)

Flapper

Reaction score
It may be getting overly complicated now, but you would probably be better to replace the rigid copper line with a flexible water supply line. But that would mean getting the other end of the copper disconnected from the faucet itself. Which then means you need to remove the faucet from the sink/counter to get enough room to work on those connections. And if you going to remove the faucet, you would want to replace both supply lines - but if your going to remove the faucet (and since you don't wan the Hand Sprayer anymore) you might as well just replace the faucet.

And it snowballs form here. :)
Plus the OP needs to cap the sprayer line which may be tricky because usually it's a proprietary connection...

Flapper

Reaction score
How is that faucet connected? It looks like the copper tubes from the faucet are going directly to the valves? :eek:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It looks like a single hole mount (one large nut to remove). But looking at the picture again, I think your right. It may not be possible to replace the copper feeds. And since OP doesn't want the Sprayer anymore, it is probably easiest (I didn't say cheapest) to replace the faucet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks