Installing Two Tankless Water Heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

whansteen

Reaction score
When you install two tankless water heaters, can they be on the same water lines or does water movement in one location cause the heater in the other location to go off? In a house where the bathroom and kitchen are about fifty feet apart does it make sense to have a tankless water heater outside of each location?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think one with circulation would be enough. The only reason to get two would be if your demand (gpm) is too big for one. If toy gave like three showers going at once with a dishwasher and laundry then you might want two. Otherwise one should be good about 6 to 8 gpm. (Depends on other factors also so beware)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 bathroom doesn't sound like 2 heaters be needed ? also no mention of where the heater will be but 50 foot is long a recirc sure makes a nice system . If this is an existing home and going from tank to tankless the wait for water to be hot is going to be longer. because water in pipes will not be warm already

whansteen

Reaction score
Re: Jeff—We would put one tank outside the bathroom and the other would be outside the kitchen.

Since the two rooms are 50 feet apart, it would seem that we would waste of a lot of water with only one tank. If we do go with two tankless heaters, would opening a faucet cause both water heaters to go off?

P.S. I should mention that we're in California and we're in a major drought.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
wWhansteen, I've put tank water heaters on opposite sides of big single story homes.
but in your case 2 tankless water heaters (most likely gas fired) means around 400, 000 BTU that's going to mean some thought into some reworking the gas system .
Why not a recirculating system with one water heater tank or tankless?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks