Installing toilets over wood flooring

Users who are viewing this thread

ttw4454

Reaction score
I'm installing new maple flooring in my house. Are there any special precautions to take for installing toilets over wood flooring? Thanks,

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is this solid, nail or glue down stuff? Hopefully, it is not an engineered floating floor. I don't think it should be much of any different from putting one anywhere else. If it is a floating floor, I think you are asking for problems - they don't like being anchored down. For ease of cleaning up, I opted to tile under that area when I put down wood floors. I used the same tile as the vanity top which ties it together.

Last edited by a moderator:

ttw4454

Reaction score
Jim, thanks for the quick reply. It will be solid 3/4" flooring that will be nailed down.

Donna Shoemaker

Reaction score
installing toilets over wood flooring.

Here is my one word of advice for a toilet over wood: AIM. :D

Seriously, I have wood in a powder room, which has turned out to be the most used toilet in the house. The floor color is more oak, so light maple might not be as easy, but I have never had a problem. I take the entire seat assembly off about once every 6 months and completely clean and sanitize, which will help keep any drips from coming off the back seat bolts to the floor over time. Just aim, and keep things clean, and you should not have any problems.

Good Luck

donmoore1904

Reaction score
Is toilet over engineered floor a no-no?

I have spent months completely remodeling a bathroom. Moving next to the floor, which is supposed to be a floating floor of the snap and glue stuff. I was going to run it under the toilet edge. I hadn't thought of complications vs stationary floor. I guess this would be a good time to see what I might use for grout in this case around the bottom edge of the toilet (I have used plaster and grout). Anyone done this? Thanks in advance. Don

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Talk to the help line of the flooring manufacturer. They typically don't want anything anchored through the floor. It needs to be able to expand and contract, and anchoring it by something like a toilet can be a problem. I used a floating floor in the bathroom, but used matching tile on the vanity and under the toilet while using the foating floor everwhere else.. It is easier to clean, too.

donmoore1904

Reaction score
The floor surface right now is the uinderlayment that the tile was attached to before it was chipped away. The underlayment is in pretty good shape, and I was going to level the few places that a ply or two came up. HBer is the layout:
w=wall x=tub deck f=floor t=toilet
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffffffffffw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffttttfffw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxTUBxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffttttfffw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffttttfffw
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxfffffffffffw
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffw

I was hoping that since toilet is in a little alcove, the expansion and contraction would not be an issue. The advice to check with the maufacturer is good. I'll give that a shot. Don

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The reason I asked was the flange should sit on top of the finished floor, so if you're putting 3/4" maple down, you'll probably have to raise the flange.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the wood flooring is installed around the flange, then I stack two wax rings. First I drop a regular wax ring down and then a wax with horn down.
They also make a thick wax ring which never makes it into my vans. My preference is to carry two types of rings which can be installed many different ways.

flange-wood-floor.jpg

cst404-terrylove-04.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks