Installing tee on pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Kookieman69

Reaction score
hello, when installing Tee at bottom of tank holes for switch and gauge aren't on the top, it still won't make another complete turn. anyone know any tricks to get it tight and have holes on top thanks, mike

Reach4

Reaction score
that is really helpful is this a plumbing forum or a comedy club
Believe it or not, it is both. You may not have liked the delivery, but it was accurate.

If you really did max out, unscrew the tank tee, and use more tape next time. That would let the thread sit a half a turn less shallow, if that is what it needed.

I think hj presumed correctly that you are talking about a tank tee for a well here.

If you had gotten a tank tee with the union, you could have turned the manifold to whatever angle you wanted.

Kookieman69

Reaction score
Believe it or not, it is both. You may not have liked the delivery, but it was accurate.

If you really did max out, unscrew the tank tee, and use more tape next time. That would let the thread sit a half a turn less shallow, if that is what it needed.

I think hj presumed correctly that you are talking about a tank tee for a well here.

If you had gotten a tank tee with the union, you could have turned the manifold to whatever angle you wanted.
I used Teflon tape it went 180 degree passed then got some yellow gas pipe tape and wrapped it 4 times and it went 90 degree passed is 5/6 wraps to much

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were I, I would NOT use any "tape" on the threads. You asked "how to get the tee lined up" and I TOLD YOU HOW TO DO IT. I do not think I have EVER not been able to get things were I want them if I used the proper sized wrench and pulled harder.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A good coat of pipe dope may give you a little more flexibility on when you can stop while still maintaining a proper seal. But, IF the threads are cut properly, you generally can just keep going to get things aligned...you may need a bigger wrench, though. WIth a T, the most you'd have to keep going would be 90-degrees, and in the scheme of things, that's not really all that much.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I guess you could also just turn the tank upside down. :)

Or you could eliminate the big tank and all the cycling problems that go with, and get stronger constant pressure to the house by using one of these.

Kookieman69

Reaction score
If it were I, I would NOT use any "tape" on the threads. You asked "how to get the tee lined up" and I TOLD YOU HOW TO DO IT. I do not think I have EVER not been able to get things were I want them if I used the proper sized wrench and pulled harder.[/QUOTE HJ If you tighten pipe threads and they bottom out you cannot go any further ( right ) .If you back the tee out you will not get a proper seal ??

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you tighten pipe threads and they bottom out you cannot go any further ( right ) .If you back the tee out you will not get a proper seal ??

The tapered thread should not bottom out unless there is a QC issue or you have too big a wrench and too strong an arm.

The only time I ever ran into an issue with bottoming out was on a wall union into a drop ear. I needed the wall union to be a 6 o'clock but it stopped hard at about 5 and taking it back almost a full turn was not something I wanted to risk. I had to grind down the end of the wall union so that it no longer bottomed out.

Decades ago, I had a ball valve that I switched up to a bigger wrench to get it where I needed it to be. It held for 10 years and then decided to split, flooding my crawlspace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks