Installing Submersible Pump Check Valve Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

MJS

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some basic questions answered as I am getting ready to install my potable water cistern.

I have a Norwesco 500 gallon model 43101 cistern that will be filled from my well. I have purchased a Franklin C1 10GPM submersible pump to then feed the water to my house and shop.

The C1 does not have an integrated check valve, so I am going to install one near the output of the pump.

My questions are:

1. What is the best and most reliable material to use in this submerged application? I was thinking either stainless steel or PVC. Most of the rest of the plumbing in the pump house is all PVC.

2. Does a check valve have to designate it is designed for submerged use or can I just get a check valve and it will function properly while submerged.

The easiest and cheapest thing would just be to use PVC, but I am worried that the $5 PVC check valve is just not going to be a quality product.

Seems to me using a 3" - 4" stainless steel nipple from the pump output into a stainless steel check valve and then transition to PVC would give me the most reliability. Just not sure if I can just buy any old ss check valve and have it work correctly in the cistern or if I need a special part designed to work underwater.

For bonus points, and not so much directly plumbing related, but any advice would be appreciated. Is there any special disinfecting or preparatory work I should do to clean out the cistern before first use? Due to the challenges of 2020, this project is taking much longer than anticipated and the cistern has been sitting empty in my pump house for about a year.

Again, thank you in advance for any and all pointers to help me make sure my cistern installation goes well.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. What is the best and most reliable material to use in this submerged application? I was thinking either stainless steel or PVC. Most of the rest of the plumbing in the pump house is all PVC.
Brass or stainless would be the usual materials.

2. Does a check valve have to designate it is designed for submerged use or can I just get a check valve and it will function properly while submerged.
You want a spring-loaded check valve.

The easiest and cheapest thing would just be to use PVC, but I am worried that the $5 PVC check valve is just not going to be a quality product.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/check-valve-suggestion.90445/#post-649725

For bonus points, and not so much directly plumbing related, but any advice would be appreciated. Is there any special disinfecting or preparatory work I should do to clean out the cistern before first use? Due to the challenges of 2020, this project is taking much longer than anticipated and the cistern has been sitting empty in my pump house for about a year.
You might be able to adapt some of the info from https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

You could sanitize your well as well as your cistern.

Michael P Cline

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some basic questions answered as I am getting ready to install my potable water cistern.

I have a Norwesco 500 gallon model 43101 cistern that will be filled from my well. I have purchased a Franklin C1 10GPM submersible pump to then feed the water to my house and shop.

The C1 does not have an integrated check valve, so I am going to install one near the output of the pump.

My questions are:

Seems to me using a 3" - 4" stainless steel nipple from the pump output into a stainless steel check valve and then transition to PVC would give me the most reliability. Just not sure if I can just buy any old ss check valve and have it work correctly in the cistern or if I need a special part designed to work underwater.

Again, thank you in advance for any and all pointers to help me make sure my cistern installation goes well.
The ones i have done in 500 gal tank outside the pump are brass with stainless guts. Done 3 like that and all have lasted over 10 yrs

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those bottom suction submersible pumps don't last very long. You would be much better off with a regular water well submersible and a flow inducer shroud. Then adding a check valve a few inches above the pump is fine, just don't put another anywhere else. Those 1HP, 33GPM, Hallmark pumps work well in a cistern and only cost 140 bucks.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks