Installing shower faucet hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

flyboy718

Reaction score
Hi,

New to forum...I am remodeling my shower and have been getting awsome expert instruction from John Bridge's forum. I am going to purchase my shower faucet hardware and try to get it all in this weekend...I understand that the shower valve body comes with new faucet's? Am I going to need any copper fittings or extensions after I cut out my old shower valve body, and how do I go about cutting out my old valve body? Will I be reusing any of the old components?

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the brand and style, sometimes the same valve assembly is used with numerous trim pieces (handles and eschutensions). So, depending on what you buy...you might have a bunch of what you need, or need to buy a bunch more.

You may need to replace some elbows, add a coupling or two; it just depends. You'll need a torch, flux, lead-free solder and maybe some pipe dope and or some teflon tape if the stuff you buy has threaded connections (probably at least the showerhead and maybe the valve assembly). You probably will want a brass or bronze dog eared el to screw to blocking to anchor the shower arm (assuming you are using one). I find nothing more annoying than adjusting the shower head and having the piping move around plus, it just promotes leaks down the road.

The best way to tear out the old depends on how close it is to what you need for the new stuff. Maybe a torch, probably either a hacksaw or a tubing cutter. SOrry, can't be more specific without seeing the situation.

flyboy718

Reaction score
Got what I need...

Thanks, I went to Lowe's last night and got my new Delta single handle shower faucet with the pressure sensative deal in it. I also got all the copper pipe I would need to install and replace all the old. Looking forward to getting it done this afternoon so I can proceed with building the rest of my shower pan.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks