Installing service to irrigation manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

condensr

Reaction score
I installed sprinklers in my front yard this last year, but the final hokoup was cheezed with a Y from the sillcock feeding the valve manifold.

The manifold is right next to the house, and right next to a frost-free sillcock coming out from the crawl.

I want to hook it up in a more permenent way this year, so, aside from the best option (dig down to the main and tee in there), I am thinking of teeing the supply in the crawl that the FF sillcock uses, putting a valve there, and piping it through to the valve manifold.

Great. Every winter and spring I would now have go to my crawlspace and turn off/on the ourside water. Any ideas on how to go about this? Would a solenoid controlled master valve be acceptable?

Also, the manifold is PVC - what would be the proper pipe to go through the foundation wall to reach it and interface with it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
irrigation

ALL irrigations systems MUST have an antisiphon, antibackflow device between the water supply and the sprinkler manifold. That valve has to be at least 12" above the ground, and ALSO 12" above the highest sprinkler head if the lot slopes uphill. In a freezing area, it is very hard to meet these requirements and also prevent it from freeing and breaking.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
While I believe a lot of Washington sprinkler systems are using buried Double Check Valve Assemblies for backflow protection, I would compliment the choice of antisiphon valves as being a superior form of backflow, being that they are toxic-rated.

If you want to avoid crawl-space operation of a system shutoff valve, you can buy a through-the-wall shutoff valve, like the ones made by Watts. They use the same principle as a frostproof hydrant, but on a larger scale, and with valve-key operation, to avoid accidental opening during winter.

condensr

Reaction score
Excellent, I'll look for one of those through-the-wall shutoffs. Sounds like just the thing.

HJ, indeed, all of my anti-siphon valves are installed at least 12 inches above the highest head in the zone. (or system, for that matter, as all the valves are at the same height.)

Racer814

Reaction score
hj said:
ALL irrigations systems MUST have an antisiphon, antibackflow device between the water supply and the sprinkler manifold. That valve has to be at least 12" above the ground, and ALSO 12" above the highest sprinkler head if the lot slopes uphill. In a freezing area, it is very hard to meet these requirements and also prevent it from freeing and breaking.
good info except that not ALL backflow devices must be installed above the highest sprinkler head....RPZ's protect against back pressure as well as back siphonage whereas a PVB does not protect against back pressure

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks