Installing PEX tubing --- Attic or Exterior Wall ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert buck

Reaction score
I have a slab floor building and my option for running PEX tubes from the utility room to a bathroom is 18 feet of exterior wall or 18 feet of attic. the exterior wall is 2 X 6 and will have fiberglass insulation. The attic area will have 18 inch of blow in insulation when finished. all PEX will have that foam pipe insulation when finished.

Any Advice on materials and which direction ,exterior wall or attic, would be be appreciated.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Either should be fine if the pipe is totally on the warm side of the insulation. It would be less likely to be damaged by an errant nail running across the ceiling than across the wass.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would not put foam wrap on the pipe.
Keep the pipe on the warm side of the insulation. If running in the attic, I would put fiberglass batt over the lines, and then you can blow insulation over that. You don't want insulation on the arm side, therefore, no foam wrap. The heat from inside must get to the pipes.

Robert buck

Reaction score
Either should be fine if the pipe is totally on the warm side of the insulation. It would be less likely to be damaged by an errant nail running across the ceiling than across the wass.
Thanks for the replys.
I should also note that the cabin is in northern Wisconsin and the winter temperatures will drop below zero. I'm thinking the attic might be the best route.
Robert

Reach4

Reaction score
Will you ever drain and blow the water out the plumbing to winterize in case the heat fails?

Robert buck

Reaction score
Will you ever drain and blow the water out the plumbing to winterize in case the heat fails?
I plan to winterize the drains with antifreeze and install a valve on the main water supply to drain the pipes. i have a air compressor to blow out the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks